NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A few questions before ordering

Hi guys,

A real beginner here. I have done a lot of reading the last week, in addition to spending a decent amount of time in Stellarium and generally spending more time looking up (whenever there's a break in the clouds).

After researching, I am on the brink of ordering a Skyliner 200P. It seems like the best for my budget of about £300. I want to have good visibility of solar system objects, but also a scope that will allow for good DSO's under the right conditions.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html

After I have gained experience of the sky I want to begin getting into astrophotography and will be ordering Making Every Photon Count by Steve Richards soon. I wanted to check that this scope is suitable for obtaining these sorts of images at a decent quality before I commit to it though.

I've only heard good things about this scope, but would love any more feedback.

Thanks.

If you are wanting to get in astrophotography, the general recommendation is an HEQ5 and an ED80. You do not mention what mount you are getting? AP is all in the mount, if you are undermounted you will struggle to get decent images.

It's technically possible to take the 200P off the dob mount and put it on, say, a NEQ6, yes.

Personally I think I'd get the 200P dob and enjoy it for visual. When you get to the stage of wanting to do DSO photography the cost of the OTA (should you decide you need a different one) will be the least of your worries.

James

Yeah I will be buying the book soon and and I wont be buying much without the books advice. The photographic side of things is in my mind 6-12 months or so away anyway.

From what I've seen and read, a £289 scope which isn't really appropriate but has great views and will last is a decent investment. I was just curious as to it's ability in the photographic regard.

One way to get into astro imaging that isn't expensive but would certainly introduce you to the world of data collection AND processing to generate the final image, is to limit your targets to the solar system (moon & planets) using a simple webcam. As these objects are so much brighter than deep sky objects (DSO's) such as galaxies and nebulae, the fast frame rate of a webcam will enable you to capture enough data before the rotation of the earth's axis distorts the stars into trails. You then stack on top of each other the best 'frames' from that timed webcam exposure in a free software program like 'Registax' to construct a final composite image that hopefully will record plenty of detail. Now of course there are dedicated webcams that come with a certain price tag etc but a simple webcam and some free software will certainly get you up and running and the moon with its changing phases represents quite a wealth of photographic opportunities. Data collection is only half of the story in imaging and processing that data being the other half and although not difficult to do, it certainly comes with a steep learning curve at the beginning which itself can help decide whether imaging is for you in the longer term. Steve Richards' book is essential reading and will certainly help you on future decisions as to how far you want to go in this subject.

Clear skies and keep those questions coming - the only daft question is the oner you don't ask! :grin:

James

Can the 200P be moved off the dobsonian and onto another mount if you want to do anything long exposure?

It's technically possible to take the 200P off the dob mount and put it on, say, a NEQ6, yes.

Personally I think I'd get the 200P dob and enjoy it for visual. When you get to the stage of wanting to do DSO photography the cost of the OTA (should you decide you need a different one) will be the least of your worries.

James

Just going on from this too, bear in mind that a new NEQ6 is close to £1000, which is quite a bit above your budget. Even a second hand is going to be alot. Like James had said, just go for the visual at the moment, imaging is a whole different ball game.

If your getting into imaging ,you need a motorised

mount.A Dob is ok for visual observing.This is what

i would go for.What i did to start with ,was ,just putting

my camera to the EP,& take pictures of the Moon.

Had some great fun.The 25mm EP gave some good

results.

Steve.

Archived