Webcam dilemma.

nephilim

Hi, I've been advised to post my question in this section as I'm a complete novice with imaging. After reading up a bit on webcam modding im wondering if its worth doing as my scope is only a Skywatcher 130m EQ2. I'm thinking of either the lifecam, HP HD-4110, of as another member recommended an x-box cam (due to it being my first time) Another member also said I should check that the webcam can be controlled by the software i'd use to control the parameters, I now feel a bit daft as wouldnt have a clue what software I'd be using as i didnt know u needed any!! Can 'anyone' help me with this or even point me in the right direction as I'd love to image the moon & a couple of the brighter planets if it's possible with the scope I have.Thanks in advance to anyone prepared to try & drill the info into my head!! :grin: PS I've downloaded registax so at least I know 'something' haha.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hers a thread to read through in regards to the xbox cam, it will show how to modify it and give you advice on what software to use, you'll also see some images other users using the cam have taken, be warned it is quite a large thread but well worth a read;

sent from Gherkin Muncher mk .III (commonly known as a Galaxy S2)

Hers a thread to read through in regards to the xbox cam, it will show how to modify it and give you advice on what software to use, you'll also see some images other users using the cam have taken, be warned it is quite a large thread but well worth a read;

http://stargazerslou...ecam-mod-cliff/

sent from Gherkin Muncher mk .III (commonly known as a Galaxy S2)

Excellent, thanks very much for that, it's just what I was looking for!! I'll post here on how I get on in the next few days. :grin:

The Xbox camera would work fine using SharpCap as the capture program on (say) Windows 7.

My concern would be whether the camera will work well with your scope because of the focal length. If it's the 900mm focal length OTA then I think you should be able to do ok, especially with a barlow. I'm a little unsure about the image size you'd be able to achieve.

James

The Xbox camera would work fine using SharpCap as the capture program on (say) Windows 7.

My concern would be whether the camera will work well with your scope because of the focal length. If it's the 900mm focal length OTA then I think you should be able to do ok, especially with a barlow. I'm a little unsure about the image size you'd be able to achieve.

James

Its the 900mm focal length, its mainly for the moon so fingers crossed. I'v ordered the cam, only a fiver so worth a go & iv downloaded Sharpcap too. :smiley:

I'm with James on this - this shot - http://coxellis.net/astroimg/images/webcam/planets/jup2.jpg was taken using a 130M and a 4x powermate - this was taken with the same setup - http://coxellis.net/astroimg/images/webcam/planets/jup5.jpg and re-sampled to double the size. Quality restrictions are due to the relatively low aperture - you'll need a 4x (or 5x) barlow to get a reasonable size.

Andy

I'm with James on this - this shot - http://coxellis.net/...lanets/jup2.jpg was taken using a 130M and a 4x powermate - this was taken with the same setup - http://coxellis.net/...lanets/jup5.jpg and re-sampled to double the size. Quality restrictions are due to the relatively low aperture - you'll need a 4x (or 5x) barlow to get a reasonable size.

Andy

Thanks Andy, If i can achieve images anywhere near those then i'd be VERY happy indeed. I wasnt expecting to be able to get anywhere near that with my scope. The main reason i'm doing this is just to dip my toe in the water & see if i'd want to take it further. If that was the case then obviously I'd be getting a better set-up (along the lines of a Skywatcher 250pds/300pds on the NEQ6 pro), but thats at least a year away yet & I've got a great deal to learn about the very basics first. Thanks for the photo's btw. :smiley:

That's a great shot of Jupiter :) Better than I've ever achieved :D But I may be having another go when we get some dry, clear weather. The moon is as bright as daylight and no problem. You won't get it all in though but you could make a mosaic.

I have the same scope. What I did was strip down a life came HD and attach a heatsink to the back of the bored. The software that comes with the webcam is very good, it gives full exposure and contrast controls.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I am thinking of doing the same thing and have just ordered an xbox webcam. I currently have a cheap 70mm refractor but after christmas will be upgrading to a 200p ds which i will put on my heq5 pro. A question i have is about the barlow. Some say about using a 4 or 5 x barlow. I would only ever use something like that for imaging and not visual. Can anyone reccommend one? I dont see any point in spending a fortune give I am using a £3 webcam. Any suggestions though would be great. Thanks.

Sent from my galaxy s3 using tapatalk 2

Well, I had a 4x ImageMate and now I have 5x PowerMate - the powermate is a far superior bit of kit, but the ImageMate is much less expensive - both are good.

I can't remember how I re-sampled the Jupiter image - may have been something or photoshop or something else I downloaded or may have been something in Maxim - actually that rings bells - it was 7/8 years ago - lots of beer under the bridge :tongue:

I have the same scope. What I did was strip down a life came HD and attach a heatsink to the back of the bored. The software that comes with the webcam is very good, it gives full exposure and contrast controls.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Thanks for those (really impressed with the images btw) Did you use a barlow & if so what type & what mag did it give, is pushing the mag (260limit with the 5.1") past the scopes limit possible while using the cam??

Thanks for those (really impressed with the images btw) Did you use a barlow & if so what type & what mag did it give, is pushing the mag (260limit with the 5.1") past the scopes limit possible while using the cam??

Guidelines about magnification don't really apply where imaging is concerned. As long as you can get enough light on the sensor for a decent image you can largely do what you want. I'm unconvinced there's much point going beyond a focal ratio of f/40, but that's about it.

James

Guidelines about magnification don't really apply where imaging is concerned. As long as you can get enough light on the sensor for a decent image you can largely do what you want. I'm unconvinced there's much point going beyond a focal ratio of f/40, but that's about it.

James

Thanks James, I had an inkling that'd be the case but wasnt quite sure, does that mean I'd be ok using a 4x barlow ( Havnt bought it 'yet' :grin: )

Thanks James, I had an inkling that'd be the case but wasnt quite sure, does that mean I'd be ok using a 4x barlow ( Havnt bought it 'yet' :grin: )

I'd have thought a 4x barlow would work, but I've not tried planetary imaging using a scope of a similar fast focal ratio to yours so I can't be sure. I don't use a 4x with my Mak because the mirror shift when I change focuser direction is enough to take it from one edge of the camera sensor to the other.

James

Nope. They where all taken in prime focus.

Archived