Astronomy books - advice?

So, I've got Turn left at Orion and S&T's star atlas... I'm now looking out for an astronomy book to read over Christmas, that will be both fun and informative, i.e. not just a straightforward "pop-science" affair, a bit more academic than that. I'd like to feel like I'm spending some useful time building practical knowledge about astronomy while I'm holed up at the in-laws without my 'scope! Has anyone got any suggestions?

I love being a nerd! :icon_mrgreen:

Some notables I have enjoyed would be:

Anything by Carl Sagan; The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene; Big Bang by Simon Singh; Stardust by Mary and John Gribbin.

I also think a nice introductory book on atomic structure theiry, chemical elements, periodic table etc is useful, as would be a basics physics book and to learn the Greek alphabet and its symbols (still working on that one). This kind of stuff can be found on the net with ease.

A colourful yet informative and readable coffee table book I've enjoyed has been The Illustrated Encyclopedia of the Universe edited by Martin Rees. The 40 hours lecture course Understanding the Universe with Alex Filippenko has been most enjoyable listen as I've walked or cycled to and from work and the internet stuff at the Khan academy is a must for anyone wishing to brush up on their physics, astronomy, chemistry etc.

The Pocket Sky Atlas is a must (far outways the use of TLaO in my opinion). I also think Moché's Self Teaching Astronomy Guide (7th edition) is a very decent way to begin and provides an excellent introduction to astronomy.

Thanks! To give some more context to my search, I'm fairly well read when it comes to physics, chemistry and the basics of astrophysics (I've read lots of Sagan and Feynman, plus a bit of Gel-mann, some George Smoot, Hawking, Michio Kaku and Lee Smolin as well), so really it's more something specific to the pursuit of astronomy - the history of the development of telescopes and their varied uses, that sort of thing... :icon_scratch:

I've noticed a book called "The Backyard Astronomer's Guide" by Terence Dickinson and Alan Dyer seems well rated as well - any views on that one? :smiley:

The Backyard Astronomers Guide is a very popular book, but you already have a lot of Messier objects and others under your belt, although very useful to a newcomer you could find that it covers a lot ground you already know, but never the less a very useful reference work. Consider Atlas of the Messier Objects by Ronald Stoyan et al, a very good book which covers the history and also provides stunning full plate images and information for each of the 110 objects, this is a large book and bit on the expensive side, but well worth it in my view. From a practical side Robert Garfinkles Star Hopping makes for a very interesting read as well as a practical guide to finding many objects in the Constellations, could keep you busy for years :)

John.

Have you considered "Burnham's Celestial Handbooks"? There are three of them, and for me they are standard issue. Old fashioned and dated, but totally relevant, and including lots of gems our more " up to date" authors have forgotten about. Also consider "1,001 celestial wonders to see before you die " by Michael Bakich. Lots of forward planning in all of these.

Have you considered "Burnham's Celestial Handbooks"? There are three of them, and for me they are standard issue. Old fashioned and dated, but totally relevant, and including lots of gems our more " up to date" authors have forgotten about. Also consider "1,001 celestial wonders to see before you die " by Michael Bakich. Lots of forward planning in all of these.

+1 for Burnham's - a wonderful piece of work. Idiosyncratic for certain, and dated, but nevertheless packed full of information and some passages are a joy to read.

+1 for the Burnham books (3 volumes), lots of great information in them and very well written in a direct no nonsense style. I originally thought they have been out of print since the 1970's but have just realised that you can get them new in paperback for from Amazon. Alternatively you can find many used copies on Ebay and similar retail sites for a modest outlay. If the digital format is your preference, I believe you can access this collection via google books but haven't seen it 'digitised' anywhere else but with the run up to xmas that may have changed.

Clear skies

James

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all! I ended up going for the Backyard Astronomer's guide, and I'm very happy with it so far (not allowed to read it until the 25th!). It's a weighty hardback time of in excess of 350 pages and lots of colour photos covering every topic from binoculars to astrophotography. :)

Of all the books I have, my last purchase from the pen of Sir PM was the Data Book of Astronomy, this replaces his original book called the Guinness Book of Astronomy Facts & Feats which I purchased circa 1980, The book is packed full of Astronomical information, from our Solar System, our Galaxy and the wider universe and is without doubt one of the best reference works I have, expanding to over 570 pages, is a most interesting read, whether it be the Moon, Planets, Meteorites, Constellations and the rest, together with tables and data covering about everything you will ever need to know :)

John.

Of all the books I have, my last purchase from the pen of Sir PM was the Data Book of Astronomy, this replaces his original book called the Guinness Book of Astronomy Facts & Feats which I purchased circa 1980, The book is packed full of Astronomical information, from our Solar System, our Galaxy and the wider universe and is without doubt one of the best reference works I have, expanding to over 570 pages, is a most interesting read, whether it be the Moon, Planets, Meteorites, Constellations and the rest, together with tables and data covering about everything you will ever need to know :)

John.

if santa leaves me hard cash in me stocking, i think i might get me a copy of that myself.

Have you seen the price of some of those old astronomy books on there! :shocked:

Well, for three quid I bought In the Realm of the Nebulae, by Edwin Hubble. The man himself is talking to you about finding the distance to the Andromeda Nebula and the redshift-distance relation. Seems OK to me!!

Olly

ive not heard of the burnham celestial books before, they look like a good read.

are they worth the money ? all three completely different content ?

Burnham's deal with the visible universe in alphabetical order e.g. Vol 1 details Andromeda to Cetus, and I can't recommend them highly enough for in-depth exploration.

ive not heard of the burnham celestial books before, they look like a good read.

are they worth the money ? all three completely different content ?

Yes and yes. Wouldn't be without them.

A superb book that needs to be much better known is J.E. van Zyl's Unveiling the Universe and, for naked eye astronomy, Arthur Upgren's Night Has a Thousand Eyes.

Archived