Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What is WRONG with Canon !? (no driver disk = nothing works!)

Aenima

GGRRRRR,

So annoying, been on web for hours trying to find the original drivers for my 300d. There IS software available on the web but without the actual drivers everything fails, even updates need something TO update!

ARGH, can anyone help with this infuriating issue?

Because i'm too frustrated to work out what the deal is. I only want to trigger the shutter through the laptop, nothing much - not even multiple exposures, just trigger a shot. My camera imports pics, but thats it.

ps yes been to canon official site and it all seems to be updates, and I have nothing TO update....

I will be happy to be totally wrong and there is drivers and easy to get but.....:(

Regards

Aenima

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wah, have tried fooling my registry but even though it said - registry updated or something like that, but when I try to use software 'DSLR shutter' to trigger camera via usb lead it doesnt recognise the camera and dslr shutter give the error message; No long-exposure port connected, no trigger pulses can be sent

Now due to a shaky grasp of windows tech i'm not sure if the software is incorrect for my camera or it still has driver issues or the camera settings wrong - or me, whats communication PTP / Normal mean?

Not really sure of the exact problem here.....anyone have ideas??

Regards

Aenim

ps the reason i'm trying to trigger it with usb is my cable one broke...! :(

Hey there:) one option would be to buy a programmable timer, Amazon sell them for about 13 pounds and they arrive surprisingly quickly from Hong Kong!:) or you could sell your 300D and put the money towards a later model which supports what you want to do a bit better as I know the older Canons have there limits software wise?

Does anyone know if the 10D would be better for this because he could just do the Undouchables firmware upgrade which turns the 300D into the 10D. When I had my 300D I did this with no problems and it unlocked lots of features.

The bulb mode can be used with a serial remote cable to control the camera via DSLRShutter

The cables are fairly easy to make or can be bought ready made...if the computer doesnt have a serial port then you can use a USB/RS-232 adaptor with tge serial release cable

Sent from my GT-P7300 using Tapatalk 2

Hey there:) one option would be to buy a programmable timer, Amazon sell them for about 13 pounds and they arrive surprisingly quickly from Hong Kong! :) or you could sell your 300D and put the money towards a later model which supports what you want to do a bit better as I know the older Canons have there limits software wise?

Does anyone know if the 10D would be better for this because he could just do the Undouchables firmware upgrade which turns the 300D into the 10D. When I had my 300D I did this with no problems and it unlocked lots of features.

The only thing stopping me doing the firmware is a intermittent power off for a second where the camera loses power but not any data, this is a problem when updating firmware.

Have thought about it, not prepared to risk damaging it. :(

But thank you for the idea. :)

Aenima

you don't need to have the camera 'installed' to trigger the shutter - dslr shutter should work as long as you tell it the right com port

? erm, what port would the usb to camera lead? I have only tried the two ports that have usb in their name...?

Maybe i have this wrong? Told u my computer skills were pants :)

Thanks

Aenima

Apologies - like psychobilly said - you need a serial remote cable which runs from the remote port on the camera to a serial plug, then probably a serial to usb adapter - that and using a timer remote are the only ways to get exposures over 30 seconds with a 300D anyway...

Er, anyone know what to do to if the tip of the cable trigger lead is stuck at the bottom of the input hole??

I Just realised i cant find the end! like the tip of the jack lead after the two black stripes the very very end tip!

Not sure but i might need to open this camera, unless that tip turns up on the carpet.....:(

Regards

Aenima

The bulb mode can be used with a serial remote cable to control the camera via DSLRShutter

The cables are fairly easy to make or can be bought ready made...if the computer doesnt have a serial port then you can use a USB/RS-232 adaptor with tge serial release cable

Ok, partly with you. So if no serial port a usb adapter rather than the usb to import images lead is needed but what would then end bit be, the plug? ie the camera end plug. Whats a rs232?

RS-232 is just one of a number of different serial interface standards...

The serial shutter release cable only allows you to fire the shutter... Data or camera control still needs the usb lead...

So usb on one end - what kind of plug would be at the camera end?

You could always get a card reader for transfering images to the PC - i.e., set the ISO on the camera, set exposure times and number of exposures in dslr shutter - control these using a serial to USB lead (in combination with a serial to USB adapter) and then transfer the images from the CF card using a card reader

control these using a serial to USB lead (in combination with a serial to USB adapter)

I meant 'control these using a serial to shutter lead (in combination with a serial to USB adapter)'

...sorry

P.S., is there a way for me to edit my original post in future?

Ahh, right sorry its me

:)

So in my case its the rs232 that would be on the computer end, and a small usb on the camera end..?

Thanks soz it took me a while to realise the usb was the little one on my camera end . . . this because i need to use a socket other than the trigger one?

Thanks.

DOI.

Aenima

still not sure if the tip of the old lead is inside the camera :(

nope.

If the PC won't work with the camera this is a work around - you don't connect the camera's USB cable.

a USB to serial converter connects to a USB port on your PC then this connects to the camera's 2.5mm stereo jack remote port using a serial shutter release cable

Archived