Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

4-Way Cigarette Socket Adaptor

The cruncher here is the 5 amp power supply. Not knowing what mount or dew strips you have, I cannot confirm your total current load but you will probably be running close to the limit of the power supply (the 4 way adapter would be fine). The 7Amp version shown here would be a better bet and could be used with the 4 way socket set you have already found.

You could cut the plug off and add ring terminals - making sure that you correctly identify the positive lead. If you are not confident in doing this you can buy adaptors such as this one:

http://astronomiser....wrhbx.htm#adapt

It goes without saying that you still need to make sure you get the polarity correct when you connect it to the power unit as it could be expensive if you get them reversed!

Just noticed that it actually quotes the Maplin 7A unit on the packaging which proves it will work!!

I haven't seen the insides of this particular splitter.

I have though looked at the insides of some others and would advise an internal inspection before deciding to keep it.

Some splitters have very poor build standards. Their construction allows mechanically unreliable connections. In other words, intermittent connections. Also shoddy materials selection giving the possibility of resistive (heatintg) connections.

Take it to bits and check. Better to reject early than have problems in a dark field with a clear sky.

Hi

I use gold plated phono plugs and sockets for my power connections - it's easy to make a distribution board from. small project box and 6 panel mounted phono sockets (if you have a soldering iron!). Replace the plugs on your leads with phono plugs - these are less likely to come loose and make for a much more compact cable assembly.

Hope this helps

Paul

Hi

I use gold plated phono plugs and sockets for my power connections - it's easy to make a distribution board from. small project box and 6 panel mounted phono sockets (if you have a soldering iron!). Replace the plugs on your leads with phono plugs - these are less likely to come loose and make for a much more compact cable assembly.

Hope this helps

Paul

As an electronic engineer I would say that you should be careful using phono plugs for power. They are not designed for it, they are designed for audio or video. If one gets dropped then the inner and outer can easily short on things. Better would be a plug and socket designed for outdoor use and with a screw shoulder or other like these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Way-Waterproof-Multiplug-Connector-/150951519876?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2325696684

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-5mm-Waterproof-2-3-4-Way-AMP-Superseal-Wiring-Connector-Pairs-Car-Boat-Van-/200741369972?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&var=500054189433&hash=item2ebd1e3874

These were just two random ones I got off ebay simply to show what I'm talking about.

Cigar lighter plugs are about the least reliable plugs and sockets I've ever met and I've banned them from my own setups! OK, I run the dewheaters from them but there an interruption isn't fatal and doesn't involve any restarts, reboots, tantrums or death threats to the manufacurer!!!

Olly

These were just two random ones I got off ebay simply to show what I'm talking about.

Fair enough, but is it me or do those two particular listings not mention maximum current rating anywhere at all?

James

Cigar lighter plugs are about the least reliable plugs and sockets I've ever met and I've banned them from my own setups! OK, I run the dewheaters from them but there an interruption isn't fatal and doesn't involve any restarts, reboots, tantrums or death threats to the manufacurer!!!

What do you use, Olly?

James

Hi Cowaski

I too am an electronics engineer and I understand your concern, however, I only use the plug for the fly lead from the equipment, the phono socket is difficult to short out and this is the one with the 12v on it.

I would not recommend replacing the 2.5mm jack plug as used on some mounts with a phono for this reason, although the phono has much greater surface area and therefore potentially lower resistance.

Clear skies

Paul

Archived