Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepiece set for a Heritage 130P

Hi everyone,

I have been asked what I want for Xmas. After y usual shoulder shrug and mumbling bah humbug response I settled on eyepieces.

The ones that come with the Heritage are pretty naff, and the barlow is even worse!

Is a good set available begtween the £100 and £200 mark?

I keep stumbling across the Celestron and Revelation sets. What are opinions on these?

I'm probalby wanting the impossible, but i like to look for everything, planets, DSO, doubles, moon, and would like something that could be transferred up to an 8-10" Dob when I eventually upgrade.

Many Thanks.

Mark

The set's are decent, but after having bought a set of Plössls, I find myself only ever using a few of the EP's, I find some of the higher mag ones horrible, and the lower mag ones quite lovely.

I am not saying a set is wrong (I've never tried any of the EP's from Celestron or Revelation), but if you are planning to migrate up to a 8-10" you might want to consider looking at individual EP's. Right now I'm salivating over the Tele-vue ones, but I doubt I'll get one that costs more than my scope at the moment, but you can always dream :).

I wish I could help you with other specific tips, but I just haven't gotten around to starting the EP hunt just yet.

The set I chose was to get a good start, and I dont regret it, however I did so with the knowledge I would start upgrading at some point.

Right now I need to see if I can hook up with my buddies in UAA and see if I could take a peek through some of their EP's to get an idea what the the difference is in person. If you have an astronomical society you can join up with, maybe that's an idea for your aswell?

Going to suggest the standard of the BST Starguiders.

At £47 a piece you could ge the 5mm and 12mm, if whoever decided to spend more then one of the others, try the 8mm.

One problem of an eyepiece set is you may get ones that are irrelevant, and the eyepieces are usually plossl's which below 10-12mm have quite small eye relief.

I bought these which, with my limited experience, seem fine. http://www.firstlightoptics.com/eyepiece-sets/revelation-photo-visual-eyepiece-kit.html

The 32mm is the star of the show and the case is big enough to cut extra holes for other items. As others have said you can buy individually but I am quite happy with these at the moment.

I bought these which, with my limited experience, seem fine. http://www.firstligh...epiece-kit.html

The 32mm is the star of the show and the case is big enough to cut extra holes for other items. As others have said you can buy individually but I am quite happy with these at the moment.

Seems a bit like mine: http://www.astrosweden.se/public/img/user/ASW_astro_okularvaska_r.jpg

Not really disappointed, for the price. Has a bit of everything.

Like you said the the 32 is the star, but at times it feels like I have to push my eyeball against the EP to get a good view from the high mag ones. Maybe its because I am near sighted and usually remove my glasses for observing. Also the openings are very small on the high mag ones, is that the norm?

Seems a bit like mine: http://www.astroswed...ularvaska_r.jpg

Not really disappointed, for the price. Has a bit of everything.

Like you said the the 32 is the star, but at times it feels like I have to push my eyeball against the EP to get a good view from the high mag ones. Maybe its because I am near sighted and usually remove my glasses for observing. Also the openings are very small on the high mag ones, is that the norm?

It's only the norm with high mag plossl's and in general orthoscopics, there's plenty of other choices out there with a wide eye lens, the BST Explorers/StarGuiders are a good example, they also have a 60 degree FoV which is quite pleasing. Also good for spectacle wearers, otherwise the eyecups can be twisted up - most comfortable and highly recommended.

Was just about to post a very similar question so I will sneak it in here. Due to my money situation it would be best to upgrade one eyepiece at a time, starting with the 10mm. The scope is F/5 (and I have no idea what eyepieces are best for that), willing to spend up to £50.

I read somewhere the most used one will be 2mm exit pupil.

True enough, on my f6 scope that is the 12mm. And I got a BST for that. It was very nice and easily my most used eyepiece.

I only sold it to upgrade to the wider views of 82 degree eyepieces..

100x magnification for me is good for most open and globular clusters.

So my point is you may not need a set, thereby with the same money you get better/wider eyepieces.

Was just about to post a very similar question so I will sneak it in here. Due to my money situation it would be best to upgrade one eyepiece at a time, starting with the 10mm. The scope is F/5 (and I have no idea what eyepieces are best for that), willing to spend up to £50.

BST Explorers/StarGuiders suit f/5 scopes!

Archived