Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

what would you buy?

garethmob

what should i buy  

18 members have voted

1. 1. what should i buy

• 10" TS dobsonian
    • Canon 1100D
    • tripod head for astrotrac to camera (manfrotto geard)
    • coronado PST telescope
    • anything else will comment below

im going to poll a question to the whole world of astronomers as i will be getting my first proper wage from my apprentiship and i want to buy somthing astro related

the choices are

10" TS dob

canon 1100D (with or with out lens)

a new tripod head for the astrotrac.... heavy duty thing :)

anything else but will comment on this

if you choose one can you write the logic behind it :)

gaz

If the 10" Dob is this........http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p5665_TS-10--f-5-Dobson-Gitterrohr-Teleskop---GSO-Optik---Mechanik-von-MF-Dobson.html

Then that would be my choice. Not ready for AP yet so the Canon is out. I would then be only doing visual so the heavy duty mount is redundant. Yep...Definitely that scope...

Looks great to me.

I'll say some high quality upgrades to your existing kit - eyepieces, focuser, etc. These things may be usable on another telescope that you later purchase, especially eyepieces, so will be a long term investment. I can't comment on the 10" dobsonian (the website is all foreign to me!) but I would be inclined to save up for a top quality one.

well heres my logic..

the 8" dob is very old, needs recoating, moving the mirror for focusing to point needs a new tube and work out how to change from a sling collinator base to more modern, so id rather for the time being till i have more time as im working 7 days a week to get somthing a little eaiser to use thats bigger than the megrez

astrotrac is currently useless as i need a new tripod head to attach anything on it hence heavy duty head.

and out of my 2 sets of bins my optricons are the best but id like to see more deeper objects than the widefield that i can see in my yard :(

i want somthing around 8 - 10" that i can put a simple mod so 2 sets of corords and i found it. my other scope, my prinz is "acting" only as a solar white light scope but since i had my first PST i much preferd HA

Lol I'm doing one with my local government but the wage is pretty good. It's twice as much as 40 hours a week in my local supermarket. I'm working both jobs ATM so I want to buy something I can have fun with :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done on your impending first proper apprenticeship wage!

If it was me, I'd find it hard to wait but would try to hang on for paypacket #2 and look at 12 inch dobs, if the size and weight would not be an issue, as you already have an 8 inch dob. I think 8 to 10 is a worthwhile step up, but 8 to 12 is massive. They are big, but the footprint is not too crazy, less than our HEQ5 mount!

Have fun spending!

Archived