NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telrad finder needed

Looking for a reasonable one without paying the earth. Having done a little reading up I found this one

http://www.365astronomy.com/telrad-finder-finderscope-p-2961.html?zenid=b665240f7d48a2b41fa6cdfa5bc2cd21

Any thoughts/comments wold be most welcome

Or has anybody got any other tips/links on where to get one?

Regards, Steve

They don't seem to come up second hand very often (probably because once you've tried one you don't want to part with it :), so new may be your only option. Even the new ones don't tend to hang around long.

James

I just received my telrad from FLO and fitted it at the weekend. I put the scope out to cool as usual, and when I went to look at it the telrad screen was completely fogged. I gave it a wipe and then came back to it 1/2 hour later, and it was fogged up again! It was a 'dewy' evening, but is this a common experience? If so, then it is likely that a 2nd hand one will be appearing on Ebay shortly ...

Simon

I just received my telrad from FLO and fitted it at the weekend. I put the scope out to cool as usual, and when I went to look at it the telrad screen was completely fogged. I gave it a wipe and then came back to it 1/2 hour later, and it was fogged up again! It was a 'dewy' evening, but is this a common experience? If so, then it is likely that a 2nd hand one will be appearing on Ebay shortly ...

Simon

Afraid so matey, but it's worth it!

For the record, the glass is just plain glass and it not coated so don't be too afraid of just wiping it as frequently as you need; you won't hurt it. I use an old Baader Wonder Cloth, but I've also used my t-shirt in the past.

There's also a couple of posts on here that show you how to make a cheap dew shield, but I just wipe every so often, it's not that bad. Honest.

Afraid so matey, but it's worth it!

For the record, the glass is just plain glass and it not coated so don't be too afraid of just wiping it as frequently as you need; you won't hurt it. I use an old Baader Wonder Cloth, but I've also used my t-shirt in the past.

There's also a couple of posts on here that show you how to make a cheap dew shield, but I just wipe every so often, it's not that bad. Honest.

Thanks for the quick response. I will persevere then, as it seems like it should be the answer to my problems locating some elusive DSOs

I too was shocked by how quickly it dewed up, easiest suggestion I saw on here was to use a sock or just small piece of cloth to cover it when not in use. Thoughts in the mirror / dew shield offficial accessory seem to be mixed.

whilst on topic of fitting, are these kits easy to fit, do you need to drill the tube or do they just clamp on somehow?

Steve

they come with double sided tape, so its a piece io cake. or use cable ties. you can of course drill the ota if so wish. but the tape holds well.

With regards the dew problem, the same thing bugged me, so I just fitted a piece of foam over the length of the Telrad so the glass is not exposed, this fixed it straight away. Also, I fixed my Telrad on top of the finder scope with cable ties as this is all I use now, and it is a good position. Stick with it and you will find it is an excellent bit of kit.

Clear skies.

Archived