NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC1499 Ha - Part of the California nebula

AndyUK

Over the last 2 months, I was beginning to think I'd never be able to post another image...

After getting the Borg 77ED c. 3 months ago, I realised that my dovetail was too short to achieve balance. Matthew helped me out ( :smiley:), but I had to get the dovetail drilled as the Borg M8 tube ring bolts were too wide to fit in my AA Losmandy dovetail. As soon as I'd got that done, I then stripped a thread in a tube ring, which was eventually resolved by fitting some heli coils (and having some new hand made bolts). I also had some spacing issues, but that was relatively easy (I eventually tracked down a 3mm spacer which I think has sorted it out).

I then thought I'd lost the use of my mount ( :eek:) when I discovered that my upgraded altitude bolts had/have been scouring out the mount, and this had changed the angle which the North altitude bolt fits - This became so stiff that I'd managed to bend the bolt a tad... which made PA unobtainable - Although I did try to cheat by "mis-levelling" the mount, this then made star alignment a problem, and as I'm new to EQMOD/CdC/Maxim, I was REALLY struggling. The mount issue still needs sorting, but I now have some new bolts so I was able to get out on Saturday night....

However, on Saturday, I found out I had a loose USB socket on my laptop, a loose mount power socket and my 4 port 12v hub blew about 1630 - If I'd been strong enough to pick the whole lot up and throw it, it would have all be in next door's garden now...

NGC1499 wasn't initially on my list - I was intending to go for RGB on either NGC1333 or IC348, but a) I was taking my daughter out for dinner and b ) NGC1333 wasn't going to clear the garage before we had to leave, so although I know that James covered this with his Borg 77ED, f4 reducer and SX 694, I thought I'd have a crack at it at f5.5 with my 314L+. I managed to get 18x15 mins Ha before the flip was necessary, and I'll admit that I do covet James's 694 chip camera and that f4 reducer, but as I don't have the funds for either, I guess I'm going to have to resort (again) to mosaics and pray we get better (and more) skies soon...

NGC1499PAIG.jpg

Referring back to James's NGC1499, I was very happy to see that I'd also captured the Klingon bird of prey :smiley: but any criticism would be most welcome - It's been so long since I had enough subs to process (even mono) that I fear I've forgotten at least half of what I thought I knew before (and even then that wasn't an awful lot!)

You've captured nice detail in there Andy and the processing looks spot on. Your weekend sounds pants, but at least you have got a good image out of it. Must be a good feeling!! Glad that the NEQ6 is playing ball despite the bent bolt.

Cheers all :smiley:! Considering all the issues, I was amazed I got anything at all out of this at the end - I would have got more exposures except the mount power cut off at about 00:40. Fortunately for me it was the last exposure before it crossed the meridian anyway but if it had disconnected any time after 20:15, the whole night would have been a wipeout, as I went out to a restaurant for a couple of hours... :rolleyes:

Guy - Just for you, here's a link to a full size version (warts and all!) http://dl.dropbox.co... Maxim FULL.jpg

I was very happy to see that I'd also captured the Klingon bird of prey :smiley: but any criticism would be most welcome

It sounds like you've been through the mill a little with your kit Andy - it's nice to see an image posted and no criticism needed - that's a nice capture :)

Over the last 2 months, I was beginning to think I'd never be able to post another image...

We all know that feeling... :sad: and we're all hoping for more frequent (any?) clear skies... It really does feel that every time we go out we have to relearn everything again...

James

Cheers James - Having seen the weather report for Sunday night last Friday, I left my rig fully set up on Sunday morning, hoping that I could have another go again, but of course the clouds started drifting in at about 16:30, and after a quick glance at the satellite image I decided to take it all down again... And now we have to wall-to-wall cloud / rain forecast again for the next 10 days (I REALLY hope that changes!). I must admit, I initially wondered how I was going to get on with the Borg helical focuser, but I now find I absolutely love it, especially used in conjunction with Bahtinov Grabber - I can get the focus down to 10 microns :smiley:.

Steve - I think I've now nearly had enough practice with EQMOD/CdC and Maxim to not need to use my crib sheet - I no longer even consider getting the handset out now :smiley:. I might have some questions to ask about use of pinpoint astrometry, but that's for another time! I'm not sure if that link to my dropbox above is working properly, so here's the full image here:

NGC1499%20Maxim%20FULL.jpg

Is this big enough? It's full pixel size (1391 x 1091 at 100 px/inch)

.. I must admit, I initially wondered how I was going to get on with the Borg helical focuser, but I now find I absolutely love it, especially used in conjunction with Bahtinov Grabber - I can get the focus down to 10 microns :smiley:.

The helical focuser was the bit I was most interested in (well, imaging at f4.3 appealed too ;) ) and I must say it's nice to image with absolutely no slip what so ever ...

Is this big enough? It's full pixel size (1391 x 1091 at 100 px/inch)

Nice.... :)

James

Yes, much better - I like it :) In fact we can now see how good your resolution actually is - excellent :) Now I can really see the Klingon bird of prey :) (Yes, I used to watch Star Trek :))

I only just realised how small that first posted image posted was - Sorry - That was a bit mean of me!

James - It was the focuser slip that I was hoping the helical focuser was going to address... and it seems to do an excellent job, and seems to be a lot more sensitive than the dual-speed Crayford focuser I had on the Equinox. That and the fact that everything screws in is a distinct advantage as there's absolutely nothing to disrupt imaging plane at all :smiley:. I think this Borg is a defnite "keeper", but I really want to see how it gets on with an RGB or HaRGB image now

A Mosaic... Hmmm... I haven't exactly planned the framing of the 1st pane very well, have I? If we get a few consecutive clear nights forecast (and nothing else goes wrong!), I might consider it...

EDIT - James - Wow.... How did I miss that :grin:

I hadn't really intended getting sucked into a mosaic on this, but due to the available objects from my garden and the fact that my previous object descended into the Conker tree about 00:30, I allowed myself to be led like a lamb to the slaughter into getting 3 more panes...

This was also my first time pulse guiding (thanks to settings supplied by Sara icon_thumright.gif) and it all seemed to go pretty well... which means I've now got rid of that nasty ST4 cable! As this was going to be a mosaic, I decided to cut a corner and not take anywhere near so many frames / pane - 6 x 900s, as the final resolution with so many panes should mean that the noise would disappear

HOWEVER, sadly I committed the cardinal sin of leaving insufficient overlap, so I now have 2 x 2 panes that won't fit together :embarrassed:. I'm still in 2 minds whether I should "go for this" or not, but here's last nights 2 pane image, together with a template showing what I have of the nebula to date (and that annoying gap)

post-6161-0-58932200-1353258348_thumb.jp

post-6161-0-36194800-1353258420_thumb.jp

Cheers Guy / Sara - It takes months of practice to get gaps as small as that... :rolleyes:. I did consider trying out EQMosaic (not tried it yet), but as I already had one pane, I didn't want to waste time by possibly recapturing that one again... So instead of wasting 90 mins, I'm going to be wasting 180+ mins instead... (I hate mosaics)

Archived