Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Flocking Hell

So, I have my scope for just a short while , I was looking for tips and hints on how to improve viewing ....Flocking . With 4 rolls of flocking a tin of blackboard paint, 4 cans of Bud I set to last night around 8ish , Just finished at 18:00 with a little nap in between . Not the easiest of jobs to do , now waiting to see the difference flocking makes .Just a question on Dew shields I have seen people use propelene sheeting, is this the same stuff you get to line tool boxes with ?

I've just made a dew shield up from cablelay matting, it's a nice matt black medium density neoprene which is nicely stiff at 13mm thick so self supports. I used a self adhesive velcro strip to provide the fixing. Not the most beautiful, but it keeps the dew and stray light out. I've yet to try it in a strong wind, but think it'll suffice in most conditions.

• 2 months later...

Back in November I confidently boasted that I had all this up and running - while I did sort of, but its taken 4 months to finally complete the Mk1 Dewshield for proper use. Unfortuanately not dry in time for last nights break in the clouds, but now ready for service for real. I also did a matching mini version for the finder!

2013-02-03%2010.37.24.jpg

Just in case the image doesn't post it's here https://www.dropbox.com/s/qwhxd2fpmt87ouc/2013-02-03%2010.37.24.jpg

Does look the biz, but it won't half increase the windage - have to test and see if it needs shortening down!

Now what's that next project!

Jake

I am a bit wary of sticky back velcro for making a dew shield, when using camping mat foam. I recently made one and attached 2" velcro, which was meant to have super strong glue. However on trying this out one side just pealed off, the adhesive, at least on the sample I have, just did not work. In another thread someone had suggested stitching, to be certain of a good fix, which I felt might not work too well on this type of material, cutting through it. However we (or at least my Wife) has a small sewing machine, so will give this a go.

Archived