NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Another M42 (this is a little different)

johnb

So 2 hours of 300 seconds and 10 x 10 secs for the core taken with the kit in my signature and process with Photoshop using the combining different exposures method.

It is a WIP and I'm happy with it, my only issue is its not exactly vibrant with colour like so many M42 images folk post /

Anyway thanks for looking

Regards

John B

post-4419-0-23321300-1352221043_thumb.jp

Loads of detail there, and even a hint of the E & F stars in the trapezium too.

Gina's right though, the black point is clipped and the background is suffering for it.

Also, I wonder if the blending of the core could be more natural? The central core of M42 is incredibly bright, and it is this area that illuminates the whole of the nebula. In its subdued state above the lack of brightness detracts a little from the overall effect and impact of the nebula perhaps.

Not sure how you layered the two sets of exposures together, but by using a layer mask you can gently paint in the trapezium detail layer a little at a time and still retain the impact of the nebula.

At any rate, it's a nice image, and as mentioned, there's a ton of detail in there :) Nice one!

Tim

Archived