SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What To Get First?

Mr Q

OK, lets say someone is just starting out and has no equipment to observe with. What should be the first thing you (as an experienced observer)would suggest to get, to get the raw beginner started?

I'm thinking a planisphere - to get some knowledge of the easiest constellations (identify them). For any beginners reading this thread, the link below is where to get one for free and it's printable for use outside:

SKYMAPS

So what would you suggest the rawest beginner get to start with???

binoculars, even a very modest cheapish pair. they open up whats out there .(but fair cop, you'll probably need a planisphere or pocket atlas for guidance)

simply pointing bins at the moon got me wanting more.

Book that makes sense,

Planisphere for reference,

Scope for observing.

That order makes some sense but rarely done like that. I don't think I did so will not force anyone else to do it the sensible way.

Pretty sure I did scope first, then planisphere to have some idea what was around then I got the book for the real information.

I would suggest using some kind of free software like Google Sky Maps, Stellarium or whatever app you can cram into your phone, then go out and look for constellations. If you have a pair of binos, or a DSLR with tripod, bring that.

After that, when you start getting hungry, join a club or society, join SGL, and start figuring out what scope you want.

As simple as it sounds for anybody starting at this time of year, I would highly recommend making sure they put on more clothing than they think they will need. Extra socks, a good hat and a scalf.

It is very easy to forget how long it takes to warm up again once you have gotten cold, spoiling a rare clear night with the stars.

Find a dark site in a place you'll find comfortable at night. Sometimes this might mean chatting to a landowner. I found a campsite owner in the Peak District incredibly helpful. He gave me a key to the site for when it was closed in the winter. There are lots of nice peole out there like Pete, the guy in question.

Olly

turn left at orion, or maybe stargazing with binouculars if you have some bins already.

stellarium is most usefull and will also keep you entertained if the clouds are out in force.

and warm clothes cos its getting into brass monkey weather

Coincidentally, Turn left at Orion just arrived today, and literally 10 minutes ago I found an old pair of Samsung 10x25 bins, although to be honest I think the fov will be too small (prob less than 2 degrees at a guess!). My new 9x50 RACI finderscope will probably be more useful!

The first questions always have to be how much they can afford, how enthusiastic are they, where do they live - is light pollution likely to be a problem - how old are they.... Going out on cold nights isn't everyone's cup of tea. That said some knowledge of the night sky is essential, so a program like Stellarium, a planisphere and one of the many books that you can buy like those in the Philips' series. And of course go along to a Star Party and your local astronomical society. There is so much to learn, so take your time.

I still have my copy of The Observers Book of Astronomy by Patrick Moore (1965 edition). Fitted neatly into your jacket pocket. And still in good condition.

Don't suppose they are still in print. Anyway time moves on. I would definitely suggest Stellarium and a decent pair of binoculars as a starter for ten these days.

Mike

Archived