NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Confused

I had a similar question a while back and when I did a bit of research most reviews and advice given to others seemed to generally say they both worked equally well but the Telrad seemed a more popular buy. The only drawback I could figure at the time was that the Telrad has a much larger footprint, so some frac users preferred the Rigel. For myself, I use a Telrad and I'm very happy with its performance. This review might be useful.

Telrad versus Rigel Quikfinder? There's only way to find out - FIGHT !!!! :grin: :grin: :grin: On a more serious note both are good and when used in addition to an optical finder, will in my view provide the means of locating objects. Yes the Telrad has a larger footprint which derives from its large big box shape (though there isn't anything in the box really) but I prefer it over the Rigel variant because it has an extra concentric ring which when used with the Telrad maps (examples which can be be viewed here) helps locating objects that bit easier. Aesthetically, the Rigel looks better on a smaller scope but they both work in the same way and are about the same price.

I think thats your decision really. I have kept my finderscope attached, and use it in conjunction with the Telrad. If you think you will still use it, keep it attached. If not, get rid of it.

I would say, use them both for now, then when you have a bit of use out of the Telrad or rigel, you'll be able to see if you need it or not.

You won't need both a red dot and a Telrad/Rigel. An optical finder along side however is a different story, this isa great pairing IMO.

Couldn't agree more. An RDF and finderscope together is a great way to navigate the sky. I'm sure using a Telrad in place of the RDF is equally, if not more, useful.

Having had a 114 SH in the past I'd try the Telrad / Rigel on it's own for a bit and see how you do. I think Telrad + optical is the ideal solution generally but you don't have a lot of space / wieght capability on that scope.

They are both RDF's of a kind, I do not think you will have need to use the current with a Telrad or Rigel, but a 'visual' finder would always be useful in conjunction. Alternatively a 'finder' eyepiece (32/28mm wide angle or similar) would do.

Hi gottzi,

My frac has a skywatcher rdf and my mak has a 6x30 straight through finder and I can swap them between the scopes , I thought about a telrad but went for the Rigel for the mak as it takes up less room :)

Archived