Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Camera Upgrade

Ganymede12

What do you mean? How would I practice when I haven't got it yet!

It's a hypothetical question. If you had the camera, would you have time to practice at home? It's going to take a while to get the hang of things, so not being reliant upon someone driving you somewhere would be helpful. Views of solar system objects aren't as affected by LP as DSOs, so if you have a reasonable view of the sky from home you should be able to get some practice in.

James

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I can do webcam imaging of the moon?

My intention is to, one day, get onto imaging the planets. Since The moon doesn't need tracking then what about the Sun? I presume I can film the sun through my Mercury707 just as I would the moon through my dob?

You can image the moon and sun with a webcam, though I'm really not sure the Mercury is the right scope for it. You might do better with the dob. You almost certainly won't get the entire moon or sun in the frame at once though.

James

Just to make sure, you will also need to buy some solar film for your 'scope to stop you damaging your eyes or telescope! Very important to remember this.

Already done this! Some of my digital camera solar pics are in my gallery.

Jupiter is getting higher so I'll be able to get practice in from home.

The LX mod is a modification to add some electronics that allows the camera exposure to be extended for (largely) arbitrary periods so that capture of data from DSOs is possible. There's an "amp off" mod that usually goes with it to reduce the amp glow in long exposures.

Not sure about the EQ platform. I've never considered using my dob for imaging so haven't really looked into that sort of thing.

James

I can't get the webcam to work. I turn on Sharpcap, plug it in but then it says that it needs to install driver software that we can't find.

The computer's operating system is Windows Vista.

Where can I get the driver software?

Edit: Problems sorted!

Just after I took my telescope upstairs (having not gotten out with it) my dad managed to sort it out... we think. Colours appeared on the screen when It moved about. I said "Maybe it's because it doesn't have a lens" To which my dad replied "It doesn't have a lens!?" (He wasn't happy that I didn't tell him but then, he didn't ask!)

Hopefully it will work once it's in the scope.

No no, it's not that it doesn't have a lens. You just didn't have it connected up to the lens. You've had the lens all along :)

If you're desperate for one though I can post one to you. Or you can buy board camera lenses on that ebay for peanuts. Not that you're ever likely to use it...

James

Hi Ant, Sounds like there's no problem with the cam, they all do the colour thing with no lens in.

When you get a chance to get out with the scope, fit webcam in focuser and align the scope on the moon, being a large bright object it'll be easier to first set up and get practice with the webcam settings. Set the gain and shutter in the webcam properties so the image on the screen is reasonably bright and then play with the scope focuser until you get a sharp image.

Archived