Beginners DSO - What should I try to find?!

Hi :)

I'm still fairly new to astronomy, having got my first telescope around this time last year, but I've been bogged down with studies most of the time and put off by cloudy skies an awful lot, too - so most of the time I've been sticking to grabbing my binoculars and spending a few minutes outside whenever I can.

But tonight looks sort of clear and I've finally mustered up enough energy to lug my telescope outside again! And while I wait for Jupiter to come up, I'd like to try and find a DSO. So my question is - what would you recommend looking for?

I've never found (or even seen) a DSO before. I can see mostly to the South/East. What do you think would be relatively easy for me to look for?

Thank you! :grin:

M45 = The Pleiades is a good start. Biggish bright open cluster.

Then below The Pleaides you will see The Hyades with a bright Orange star (Aldebaran)

Somewhere around the Hyades/Aldebaran will be a big bright lump that is Jupiter.

After a bit more time Orion will rise enough, have a look at M42 the Orion nebula, to cheat a bit M42 is so close to M43 that you will actually see both. So 2 for 1. They come up fairly late.

If you can find M31, Andromeda, give that a shot but I expect all you will get is the central core and it will be the traditional faint fuzzy.

The double cluster in Perseus should be easy.

Could try M33, Triangulum Galaxy, depends on the scope and light pollution.

By the time you will have found those you will more then likely be freezing.

cassiopeia has loads going on nd kept me amused for about 2 hours the other night when it was clear at clumber park.

i m a total noob, but i was well impressed - after i got jupiter and the moon out of my system. i must have spent at least an hour ticking off moon features from my list. i got 40 odd, so only another hundred or so left to identify!

Archived