Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astronomers just don't catch a break.

stonemonkeylives

For the first time in donkeys I was able to get my scope out and do some serious star gazing tonight, I even had a a plan of attack; first Jupiter then M31, M32, M42, M43 and if the seeing was good enough M1. A nice start to Messier objects and as a friend, someone new to astronomy that had been inspired by my constant rants about how amazing our hobby was, had finally been talked into joining me, I thought a good tour of what astronomy had to offer.

So after a small time looking at the moon and after a nice cup of tea we moved on to the brilliance of Jupiter. My friend was awe struck at its beauty of the giant planet and even more so by the Galilean moons, seeing wasn't at its best but it was still good enough to hook him, now to reel him in. After the awesome sight of Jupiter and its moons, I though Andromeda would be the final nail in the coffin of his futile resistance to our hobby. After 5 minutes of getting the telescope in position the clouds roll in. OK not so much of an issue another cup of tea and the clouds should have moved on by. And then we felt it. It was snowing!

Why, O'why? Why did this have to happen tonight? After a mad rush of clearing up we got back in the car for one last cup of tea and a quick chat. Unfortunately the snow didn't stop and we parted ways and returned to our respective home disheartened by our star gazing cut short yet again.

Now though this was a short (and sweet, thanks Jupiter) session I got home to receive a text message from my friend thanking me for an awesome night and a couple of locations local to him that were a lot darker than where we went tonight, joy, another astronomer in the making. :D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Sounds like a pretty good intoduction for your friend, shame about the snow showers (which were predicted for your area) this weekend.

I had a pretty heavy shower of hail here last night, which is early for this time of year in this part of the world, so i am thinking LOTS of snow could yet again be on the menu in about 4 weeks time.

Archived