Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

University Optics 7mm Ortho

paul mc c

Yes I have owned them. They do two types - the "volcano" top design and the flat topped "HD" design. The former is the same as the Circle-T classic orthos sold by Lyra Optics (and others I guess) and the HD ones look more or less identical to the Baader Genuine Orthos and perform identically as well.

Both types are excellent examples of the orthoscopic design. The HD's show a little less light scatter than the "volcano tops" and have slightly better lens coatings.

At the peak star party, a good friend had his 6" orion dob set viewing Jupiter, with a 7mm BGO, so i suggested trying my 7mm circle T volcano top along side, head to head, the view in both ep`s were superb, but we both felt the BGO had a very slight edge, mainly a bit more light transmission, you will enjoy your 7mm, they are very good

I am thinking it would substitute for a 7mm BGO as i probably wont be able to get one,the 9mm BGO is excellent as you know Shane and the 6mm i have also excellent but needs excellent seeing to git the best out of it,so i think the 7mm will will be just right for that bit extra power on planets.

Yeah, I had the Antares flat topped 7 & 9. Couldn't tell the difference between it and the U.O. versions. ie: same 'piece, different branding.

All in all, orthos, no matter their shape etc are corking high power units. An ancient, but affordable design but one that continues to work.

Hail. All hail to the Ortho

:grin: :grin: :grin:

Andy.

• 1 month later...

since the circle T ortho`s are going out of production, i have ordered the 9mm kk from lyra, so i will have the 7mm 9mm 12.5mm and 25mm kk`s and 18mm BGO, i feel that pretty much covers my ortho habit

Archived