Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What medium magnification would you choose for DSO's

Rogering1

Hi guys,

I have the following magnification in my F5 newt:

42x (30mm) 139x (9mm) 179x (7mm) & 250x (5mm)

I would like to use a medium ep for DSO's. From your experiences what has been most useful, 72x (17mm) or a 89x (14mm)?

Many Thanks

31mm to 9mm is a huge step, as you note from 42x to 179xin magnificaton, but also an exit pupil from just over 5mm to under 2mm. I would be tempted to look to cover this by 2 eyepieces in the long term, each with a step of about 1.5x to give focal lengths of around 14mm and 20mm. For DSO, I suggest an eyepiece of around 14mm first, in your case giving a good 2.8mm exit pupil.

I would go for an eyepiece in the range from 14-18mm, there is a great deal of choice in this area but at F5 you should be looking for something of decent quality. If you want sharp to the edge you should look at higher end models but they have higher end prices. I would try for a second hand Nagler 16mm, pricey but almost impossible to better.

The other point made by Chris is also very true and his idea of 20 and 14 is a fine one too.

Alan.

Archived