Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone able to build a 12 inch dob for me

BenConway

Seems a tall order That. Even second hand mirrors are close to 300gbp. There's a 12" on ABS that might suit if you make the altaz frame.

While I have often considered doi.g up a 6" reflector for primary and secondary school donation, its often abit pointless without aftercare like teacher training, storage and after school clubs to use it in the dark....

What are your intentions at school for such a large scope?

Mike

I would recommend researching how to build one, there are tons of information on the interwebs. It's not that hard, and you will learn a lot in the making. Besides it will look very good on your grades if you could make it a school project. You could also get lots of support at the local astronomy club I guess you're a member of, since you're so into the hobby already that you're writing articles.

Taken from your profile

Hi there, i am a young astronomy only 13 years old and i am an amater astronomer. Feel free to ask me any questions.

My email address is : ************ (please have the subject as astronomy)

I have an LX200GPS 12"

I am probably the most knowledgeable child in this subject.

Live in north west london.

I quite enjoy debating theories about the universe. (basically cosmology)

Feel free to ask me any questions.

Question: How do you build a 12" dob?!! ..................... Sorry, just a little leg pull on my part!! :evil:

Seriously though, I am sure that it would be a great thing for you to research and build and also you could keep a blog with the stuff that you learn as you go along and write an article at the end about how you researched it, built it, hurdles you overcame etc. That would be a really useful read for people in a similar position to you.

first of all i am the one with the training having done 3 astronomy corses (useless dont do them)

Lets put this into an educational perspective:

3 courses is a close to sod all, and then you say they are useless.

So you state you have done 3 useless astronomy courses which means none of any use.

Not much training therefore that is of any positive value.

Suppose you didn't do the sensible thing of looking into the course content first, before wasting your time and money?

Suggest that one thing you realise is that many people here have done a huge amount more then you have. It would be a safe assumption that people reading this know more then 3 useless courses.

If you do not have the knowledge to build a simple dobsonian and you think others do then you have already demonstarted to yourself that you lack a LARGE amount of knowledge. However this appears to have missed registering with you.

I suggest a rethink, also look at the cost of the components for a newtonian.

Piece of knowledge 1: The Dobsonian is the mount not the telescope, a dobsonian mount is generally made of plywood from Wicks or similar DIY stores.

Get your astronomy terms right.

Parents might buy you stuff, I doubt if people here are going to donate money as freely to someone who makes a noise.

Here's a solution: (1) Take your scope to school, (2) Donate your scope to the school.

Finally:

I am probably the most knowledgeable child in this subject.

I have seen someone a year younger then you impress researchers, lecturers and professors at a lecture in Cambridge Institute of Astronomy with what they knew about astronomy. I seriously doubt what you are saying.

Archived