Star Partys

Check out the star parties section Tone - most tend to be around the equinoxes cos that's when you get the last/first of the warmer nights before/after winter/summer and also the last/first of the darker nights. Also - a local astro soc is good for observing with other folks - you learn a lot when doing astronomy in a group of like minded people :)

No probs - you'll find everyone very friendly - first time I went I only had a pair of binocs and a planisphere and loads of folks offered me a look through their scopes. That's when I first noticed the addiction setting in lol.

I'd strongly recommend Kielder, Kelling, SGL8, East Mids SP, Salisbury SP, and Peak SP - to name but a few :)

(lots of folks from here attend those)

I was very nervous going to my first astronomy group meeting, but as brantuk says, the stargazing community is a very open and friendly one. I guarantee it's worth your time going along to one.

Just to ask do you mean a weekend or week long event or a club star party.

Obviously the weekend/week ones are camping or similar events, a club star party is often a late night event where people are local and attend until say the early hours of the morning.

Think i would be nervous being a newbie :icon_shaking:

no need to be nervous, they are friendly and helpful there. Always ready to lend a hand. Only thing to remember is don't turn on a white light LOL

then you will be good to go. I say go for it, I did and managed not to upset anyone.

Velvet

Hi and welcome to SGL

The link below is for the Federation of Astronomical Societies. Select a region and scroll down to find the clubs nearest to you. The majority of the entries should have a website address so you can check out individual event programmes.

http://fedastro.org.uk/fas/members/

Depending whereabouts you are in Essex the Castle Point Astronomy Club is based in the south-east of the county and will be holding a public open night in November.

http://www.cpac.org.uk/opennight.asp

HTH!

I just turned up uninvited to a local meteor observing session with nothing but a camera and tripod. I simply asked if they would mind if I joined them. I was made most welcome and even got a donut. I joined the society and attended a meeting. A real friendly bunch.

Unfortunately my work clashes with meetings so its hard to attend, but i'm trying.

Archived