NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M31 Revisited 13/10/12

Tzetze

Got back out targetting Andromeda over a couple of nights without the glare of a moon in the sky. Guiding was frustratingly bad and I'd to discard a lot of subs. The 26 that I used were far from ideal but it was either use them or don't process anything at all.

I've since re-tuned my mount, allowing both axes to run much more smoothly and removed some backlash in the gears. Of course clouds have ruined any hopes of giving it a test drive.

4h20m data

26x 600s subs

28x darks

25x flats

450D CG5-GT SWED80

Stacked in DSS, Tweaked in PS & Lightroom

8087505686_d9289a5f5b_b.jpg

M31 Revisited 13/10/12 by .Tzetze., on Flickr

Sorry to read of your colour blindness. However, though I can see a very slight greenish tinge I wouldn't call it significent. My colour sight is good, I know because I had it tested for a military driving license and it was classed A1.

Thanks Gina. The blindness is hardly ever an issue. I enjoy a world full of rich colour, but some are interpreted in a different way to most other people. It all looks perfectly normal to me though - except when I have to cut the red wire, NOT the green one!

I've started using a Skywatcher 2" LP filter - so I wonder if that's causing some colour abnormalities... should I adjust the white balance on camera?

Good work on m31.

Youre not wrong when you say you need to tune the cg5 to get the best out of it. Ive never had a problem in ra, but dec backlash would always test your patience. Some nights it would be flawless, other nights you would be pulling your hair out!

One thing to take a look at is your dec clutch. When locked, does it scrape against the plastic dec housing? A telltale sign is a scrape mark in the shape of an arc on the bottom of the housing. I solved that issue by filing the clutch down a bit, seems drastic but its that or change the shape of the housing. To be honest I think its a bit of poor design, as ive seen this issue on other cg5 mounts.

Archived