Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Lobster Nebula (War & Peace) / Kalahari Desert Namibia

Boren

Hi guys,

It's been some time since I posted an image - these were a few very difficult months for me before summer. But it's cooller now :-)

I am sure you all know the feeling... You've gone out on a star party / imaging session; you've spent several good days and nights on the road; it's been tiring, costly, and called for many resources. BUT - there's that ONE IMAGE you feel was WORTH IT ALL. So, this is that image... And it made my travel to Namibia, to the edge of the Kalahari desert, worth it all.

I have seen a version of the object made by one of the Swiss visitors to Tivoli farm, during one of the nights, and have immediately fallen in love with it. What I liked most about it was the contrast between the raging clouds of dust and gas, amidst which a jewel is hiding - the center little cluster of Pismis 24, and the "pillar of creation" in the very middle of the image.I also loved the fact that it was almost wholly red, with only the very center and some very little patches showing anything but a deep deep red. A very close inspection of the raw images shows that this is in fact the case. It's a truly Ha object. :p

Finally, I have managed to use a blend of Ha and Lum for the luminance (mainly based on the Ha) which brought out the details the way I wanted them. I hope you like it as much as I do. Including two resolutions:

1. 1600 pixels wide - http://www.pbase.com/boren/image/146391038/original

2. 2736 pixels wide - http://www.pbase.com/boren/image/146385803/original

Any comments are, as always, very welcome.

Cheers,

Harel

post-7784-0-70812300-1349852491_thumb.jp

Ahem, yes, I can see why you like this one, Harel! The nebula has a dramatic billowing shape and the pristine cluster in the middle gives the image a focal point. While it is very red it looks 'right' because you have those few blue stars as a reference.

One of our guests (coming tomorrow, in fact) is a Tivoli regular for the southern sky. I always look forward to his latest crop of results since he doesn't post on the forums.

Lovey stuff.

Olly

Lovely image. Well worth the journey to Namibia. I was lucky to spend four nights there last year observing under pristine Mag 6+ skies. And I am going back next year. Cannot wait.

Clear skies,

Thanks !

That was my second time in Namibia. On the first visit I have written a 7 page article with images in Astronomy Magazine - you may have read it... If anyone likes to read the article - I will be glad to send you a copy. Just mail me to harel@hboren.com, and I'll reply with the article.

Next year I will be spending another 8 nights under these unforgettable skies, this time during May.

Cheers,

Harel

stunning image looks like the sky is on fire very dramatic I love it.

Thanks Mark!

I just loved the comparison to a sky on fire... I have used it several time since, as it truly captures the feeling I have each time I view this image... Thanks for this too :-)

Cheers,

Harel

Archived