NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DSLR Shutter Life

Viv

Just a question, but does anyone keep a rough track on their shutter count ?

I was at an airshow yesterday & my friends, camera had error 99 - which after trying all sorts of combinations of removing lenses / batteries / cards, it seems that the shutter has given in (it was a 450D - reckons he's taken 60,000)

Had a quick tally up this morning, i've taken just under 50,000 (not including a handful of video clips), a good 2 thirds of that this year.

Average for the 7 is apparently 150,000.

As we keep the shutter open for a longer period than most, I assume that would effect it even more ??

I know these don't last, but i'm wondering if I should have a little camera body side fund handy ..................

The wear and tear on the shutter mechanism happens when you move it, so duration of exposure shouldn't have any significant effect.

No idea what my current shutter counts are on existing bodies. I used to have a Sony A350 which I sold at around 50k, and a Canon 50D at around 90k. You could say I'm trigger happy... my 7D recently went in for a non-shutter related repair, and based on that it isn't too scary to send it back to Canon should a shutter replacement be needed. Took about 10 working days though, think I should try and get myself on CPS for the quicker turnaround... don't tell them I'm not a pro!

For anything important, I always have at least one backup body...

I've worried about that on and off Viv, and decided it's not worth it. My 450d is up to some 40k (I think) and when it gives up, it gives up. At that point, I'll go with the most effective solution for me (ideally upgrading the body ;))

My 450D is up to about 24,000. I can get up to three or four hundred a day if the sky is clear though. If it died I'd probably get a new body, then do the filter mod on the 450D and replace the shutter mechanism to have a spare camera.

James

my 7D is over 110,000, the 5D MkII is 70,000 and the 1DMk4 is 40,000. When they die they die and I'll replace them or repair them. At the end of the day they are just a tool so I don't worry about the actuations. A simple timelapse sequence could easily burn up 1000-2000 exposures so it is fairly easy to start getting shutter failures

Thanks all - it's good to read all of those posts.

It's something that i've not spared much thought to before, but next year we're considering a Malta trip (for the airshow).

I think I'd have serious thoughts, about buying a spare body to have with me ........

It is quite hard getting your head round thinking of DSLR bodies as 'disposables'.

At the lower end then the cost of having the camera serviced and the shutter reaplaced is a much larger percentage of the cost of a new body... and I guess most people will take several years to get anywhere near needing it replaced... at the higher end then it makes more sense to get it replaced...

Peter...

Archived