Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M31 FSQ85 First Light

Earl

First Light!

I have been waiting for this moment for some time and im not at all disappointed.

I have gone back to M31 as I did this a few weeks ago, this is 30 500s subs Calibrated in AA5 for quickness and a DBE with stretch in PI

The Moon was not helping and one issue to note is the left hand side of the image as slightly eggy stars, this is due to using pushfit adapter to attach to the scope, I have various threaded adapters on order to solve this.

For full size image https://dl.dropbox.com/u/43788925/4.10.12%20lum.jpg

post-6688-0-87454200-1349307412_thumb.jp

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are absolutely fantastic telescopes; Nothing I have own so far has come close to my TOA130F but the BabyQ does, its just unbelievable that such a small telescope can exhibit such performance. Enjoy the BabyQ, its expensive but nothing else will ever be as good... The image capture of M31 is also very good and the stars as you say can be improved a little further with screwed connectors to the telescope.

Lovely, Earl. Odd about the stars. I use the push fit without issues but you never know. It is a great scope, isn't it? My personal favourite imaging instrument, in fact.

DBE has given you a slightly dark region around the galaxy. I think it does this through over compensation if your background markers are too close to the galaxy. I often get it in my images in a first pass with DBE.

Olly

Lovely, Earl. Odd about the stars. I use the push fit without issues but you never know. It is a great scope, isn't it? My personal favourite imaging instrument, in fact.

DBE has given you a slightly dark region around the galaxy. I think it does this through over compensation if your background markers are too close to the galaxy. I often get it in my images in a first pass with DBE.

Olly

DBE does need some tweaking last night i was too tired and ill not play again due to the other issue.

I actually having to use 2 pushfit adapters as I need to extend a bit also, this is far from ideal, Im awaiting to hear when Tak EU can get a delivery out for the proper bits, ( a TKA23201 and a TKA23250) Im surprised you use a pushfit to be honest :)

I wouldn't use a push fit if it didn't work on my setup but since it does... You have to see what works for you. I have the cosher Tak extender which may make the difference. (With reducer I usse screw fit BTW.

Sorry to be a pain but you are in Tak territory now and (on a netbook screen I stress) I still think the background sky is uneven though the galaxy is ruddy marvellous. Honest injun, if that were my image I'd be chuffed but I would still be working on the background. Take some eyedropper readings in Ps or just go into Curves and alt click on the background in various places to see if I'm up a gum tree. Wouldn't be the first time!!

I find the stars and the background are the hardest part to get right, which is ironic since they are not the main subject of the picture.

Olly,

I wouldn't use a push fit if it didn't work on my setup but since it does... You have to see what works for you. I have the cosher Tak extender which may make the difference. (With reducer I usse screw fit BTW.

Sorry to be a pain but you are in Tak territory now and (on a netbook screen I stress) I still think the background sky is uneven though the galaxy is ruddy marvellous. Honest injun, if that were my image I'd be chuffed but I would still be working on the background. Take some eyedropper readings in Ps or just go into Curves and alt click on the background in various places to see if I'm up a gum tree. Wouldn't be the first time!!

I find the stars and the background are the hardest part to get right, which is ironic since they are not the main subject of the picture.

Olly,

Its interesting what you say about the background, have a look at the one i posted on paig, same image and it does look better, more even. but overall i do agree the background still needs some work, maybe some localised DBE.

Its always a delicate balance when processing the background, too much and you get clipping, too little and any artefacts or unevenness shows through... Still its a fantastic image when all said and done - Welcome to the TAK club!!!

I'm off to buy some more TAK bits and pieces today!!!

The caravan netbook doesn't allow me to add anything useful at the moment but I'm sure this is gong to be fantastic. Les's M31 has shown us that an Ha layer, handled as well as he hndled it, has a lot to offer. I did try it once and didn't get much out of it but I'm going back to try again ASAP.

BTW, it's easy for me to criticise a background sky since I have no excuse for getting them wrong given the darkness of my site! In Luminance at F5 I can go to 20 mintes or more without difficulty.

Olly

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First Light!

I have been waiting for this moment for some time and im not at all disappointed.

I have gone back to M31 as I did this a few weeks ago, this is 30 500s subs Calibrated in AA5 for quickness and a DBE with stretch in PI

The Moon was not helping and one issue to note is the left hand side of the image as slightly eggy stars, this is due to using pushfit adapter to attach to the scope, I have various threaded adapters on order to solve this.

For full size image https://dl.dropbox.c...4.10.12 lum.jpg

Man, that is spectacular! :) Many congratulations. How are you getting on with it after living with it for a while ?

Steve

Man, that is spectacular! :) Many congratulations. How are you getting on with it after living with it for a while ?

Steve

I have used it 3 times :( lost the last few night due to waiting for a pier adapter.

Archived