NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Explorer 200P v Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian

I had been looking at a Celestron 127 SLT for moon/planetary and some possible DSO.

However someone suggested that I take a look at the 200P Dob instead. As that scope should give better Planetary & DSO than the 127.

Upon reading up on the 200 DOB I cam across the Explorer 200P. I know the Explorer 200 is a Reflector.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-200p-eq5.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-skyliner-200p-dobsonian.html

My questions are as follows:

• Using a reflector instead of a DOB whats the PRO/CONS ?
  • In what way would I see a different between the DOB & Explorer?
  • Can the 200P Dob be mounted on a EQ5 mount? The 200P Dob looks a little akward.
  • Can GOTO be added to the 200P Dob at all?
  • If not then how do I photo long exposures where the scope would have to track the target?

Finally - does anyone have a gallery/flickr/examples of planetary/DSO photos with either scope?

Many thanks

A few answers for you:

1/ a dob and reflector are one in the same scope, just the mount differs....although the optical configuration is slightly different (see below)

2/ in this case its the focal ratio of the two scopes that differs. The Skyliner is an F6, while the Explorer is an F5. Pro and cons to both.

3/ The dob tube can be mounted on an EQ5, i know someone who does just this. He switches between the dob mount and EQ5 depending on what he wants to do. That said it would be best to have the dob and a HEQ5.

4/ There are after market goto systems but not sure its worth it.

5/ The dob is a breeze to operate, nothing awkward about it, in fact its one of the Pros to the design.

6/ Sorry no gallery from me

Hi

To answer some of your questions:

1. The 200P tube is virtually the same on both scopes, the Dob is F6 and the Explorer is F5 focal lengths. The Dob version sits on a rocker box mount and moves in AltAz motion only. I'm not aware of any goto system for this scope but the Orion XT version (which is America's version of Skywatcher) has a goto version.

2. The EQ5 mount would be more suited to imaging, although ideally you would need the driven mount (HEQ5 SynTrek) for tracking purposes and I think they are best suited to webcam lunar / planetary imaging although I may be wrong about this. You may want to check out users' scope setups in the Imaging forum.

3. The link is for an image using the Skyliner scope: http://www.opticalvision.co.uk/gallery.asp?ID=13

HTH!

I had been looking at a Celestron 127 SLT for moon/planetary and some possible DSO.

However someone suggested that I take a look at the 200P Dob instead. As that scope should give better Planetary & DSO than the 127.

Upon reading up on the 200 DOB I cam across the Explorer 200P. I know the Explorer 200 is a Reflector.

http://www.firstligh...r-200p-eq5.html

http://www.firstligh...-dobsonian.html

My questions are as follows:

• Using a reflector instead of a DOB whats the PRO/CONS ?
  • In what way would I see a different between the DOB & Explorer?
  • Can the 200P Dob be mounted on a EQ5 mount? The 200P Dob looks a little akward.
  • Can GOTO be added to the 200P Dob at all?
  • If not then how do I photo long exposures where the scope would have to track the target?

Finally - does anyone have a gallery/flickr/examples of planetary/DSO photos with either scope?

Many thanks

1. A dobsonian telescope is a reflector. The only difference between the Skyliner 200 and the Explorer 200 is the focal length and the form of mounting, which is what makes a dobsonian a dobsonian. The dobsonian base is quicker to set up but has it's limitations.

2.. There will be only slight differences in the optical performance between the two telescopes. The Skyliner has a slightly longer focal length so will give a bit more magnification for any given eyepiece.

3. If you remove the solid tube ota from the dobsonian base you can mount it on an equatorial mount using a set of rings and a dovetail bar.

4. If the dobsonian is the solid tube version with the basic unmotorised mount, no.

5. For long exposure photography you need a motorised equatorial mount. If the dob mount is the motorised tracking or goto version you may get about 15 seconds before field rotation becomes apparent.

Peter

Really depends on what you would like to spend most time viewing.

Planets are going to need x150 and above and you'll have to keep nudging the Dob.For detailed Lunar observing you might go higher mag, if you need to sit and draw things.

Galaxies, clusters and nebulae will need x40-x80 and you'll be able to view for longer without the Dob nudge.

However the 200 Dob is a great all rounder and an ideal bit of kit if you need to mount it on an eq.

For ease of use and the grab and go factor, I'd start with the 200 Dob.

Nick.

I found the Skyliner 200P an excellent all-round scope for visual observing. The F/6 focal ratio has a number of benefits in my opinion including a slightly smaller secondary obstruction, a larger "sweet spot" for collimation, easier on non-premium eyepieces and the longer focal length means you don't need such short focal length eyepieces to obtain high magnifications. For me, these benefits outweigh the need to track manually (which comes quickly with a little practice).

Add to this the smaller storage "footprint" of the dob, it's ability to be carried in one piece to, and around, the observing site and it's totally undemanding setup process (put it out, let it cool, point it and look !) then it's a "no brainer" to me unless you really feel that you would like to image in the near future. Even then you can stick the F/6 tube on an equatorial mount if you need to in due course.

just to throw something in the mix (I am leaning towards the Skyliner 200P Dob) - any thoughts on how these compare to a Celestron 127 ?

The 127 is much smaller and compact. It needs dew prevention gear (dew shield / dew heater / both). The 127 will take longer to cool. The 200P will show deep sky objects noticeably better as it collects a lot more light. On planets / the moon / binary stars the 127 might complete with the 200P on some nights or not be quite as good on others. The 127 is not good for wide angle views whereas the 200P does that nicely.

Both good scopes of their type. Different "horses" for different "courses", perhaps though ?

thanks John.. although money is not everything i am amazed that the 200P is approx £100 cheaper than the 127 - yet for planets/DSO the 200P will show those possibly even better than the 127.

Having been into the hobby for 30+ years now I'm amazed that you can get either type of scope, decently made, for anywhere near the cost they are currently available. We have a lot to thank the Chinese for :smiley:

Can i just say i love my Skymax for what it is. A small, compact, high performing telescope. One that i can easily take on a family holiday where space is at a premium. It gives lovely views of the moon and planets. But i really need to add a 200P dob to my arsenal. Looked through one many times, always impressed, the views are in a different league to my 102 Skymax and the 127 Skymax i've looked through. And the dob is so easy to use. I find my EQ mount a real pain sometimes and that's with the easier to use Mak and Frac, let alone a lumbering newtonian. Worst scope i've ever used was a 250PX on an EQ6. We spent the whole night in some weird and wonderful positions. And because it was icy we couldn't rotate the scope easily. Even the owner of the scope was pretty fed up by nights end. I would love a big aperture scope but not one on an EQ mount.

Definately go for the 200 Dob. It's an absolute grab and go. No problems at all with it. It takes me at least half an hour to set up the eq synscan mount.

If there's a break in the clouds or some other area of the garden that I can see things better, then it's just pick up the Dob and set down.

Don't get grabbed by aperture fever, if you live anywhere with light pollution an 8" will give you all the views that you need.

I transport my Lightbridge out into darker sites, neat,

Nick.

I took weeks trying to make the same decision between these same scopes.

In the end I went for the eq5 200p and was really happy with it. Then for some reason I still had the urge for the Dob.

A couple of months later I ordered the Dob as well and I have to say I slightly prefer the Dob.

It's just so much easier to set up and use than the eq5, plus the Dob can be used while sitting which is much nicer to use.

If you want photos then go for the eq5, but for everything else pick the Dob.

If you want photos then go for the eq5, but for everything else pick the Dob.

Is it at all possible to take a Dob and mount it on a eq5 later?

Between the 2 scopes can you notice any visual difference when viewing, or is it simply the eq5 allows for easier tracking?

(appreciate the comments guys - I am thinking more towards the Dob).

The only difference in views is there's slightly more magnification in the Dob.

For example the eq5 gives x200 with a 5mm eyepiece, whereas the Dob gives x240.

Ganymede my first scope purchase landed on my last birthday. The Dob I had to save for myself.:)

Can anyone confirm that Is it at all possible to take a Dob and mount it on a eq5 later?

I am guessing I can. Would just like confirmation.

It's possible but an EQ5 is not enough mount for the 200P dobsonian really. It may be just about OK for visual observing (and really only just) but nowhere near steady enough for imaging.

Even the shorter 200P equatorial is pushing the EQ5 a bit, in my opinion.

The principle of mounting the dobsonian tube on an EQ later on is sound enough though.

It's possible but an EQ5 is not enough mount for the 200P dobsonian really. It may be just about OK for visual observing (and really only just) but nowhere near steady enough for imaging.

Even the shorter 200P equatorial is pushing the EQ5 a bit, in my opinion.

The principle of mounting the dobsonian tube on an EQ later on is sound enough though.

So what kinda mount are we looking at to safely mount the 200p dob? With consideration of possibly having a camera /webcam on as we'll later on.

Archived