NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eyelashes

Hi all. I've just purchased a Celestron X-Cel LX 7mm which I have tested out a couple of times, very pleased with it so far but I have noticed something rather odd. When I'm looking through it, if I look down at the bottom of the FOV I notice that my eyelashes appear in the top third to half of the FOV. I've got the eye shield unscrewed to its maximum height but it also does this if it is lower. Can anyone tell me if this is normal or not?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha I know how you feel, being in possession of very long eyelashes (for a man anyway) I get this with some of my eyepieces too, but seem to overcome it by having the eyecup almost completely out or just moving very slightly away from the e.p. I don't think I would trim them though, just in case they grew back even longer, would not want that.

Ha I know how you feel, being in possession of very long eyelashes (for a man anyway) I get this with some of my eyepieces too, but seem to overcome it by having the eyecup almost completely out or just moving very slightly away from the e.p. I don't think I would trim them though, just in case they grew back even longer, would not want that.

yep probably not the best idea i've had. my wife very helpfully said last night she thought there was a market in the astronomy community for detachable eyelashes lol :-o

ha ha ha :lol:

I occassionally get the same problem! I thought it was just me with unusually long 'cilia'

I haven't found any way of stopping it unfortunately, but thankfully it doesn't always happen! i have tried trimming them a few years back, but it went a little wrong and i looked ridiculous as i couldn't get them straight (it probably didn't help as i was doing it my eye was closed :p )

ha ha ha :lol:

I occassionally get the same problem! I thought it was just me with unusually long 'cilia'

I haven't found any way of stopping it unfortunately, but thankfully it doesn't always happen! i have tried trimming them a few years back, but it went a little wrong and i looked ridiculous as i couldn't get them straight (it probably didn't help as i was doing it my eye was closed :p )

mine doesn't look too bad, in fact my wife couldn't tell the difference when my eye's were open, she said she could just about when they were closed though. another idea... what if we curled our eyelashes up with eyelash curlers, that should do the job, detachable eyelashes and eyelash curlers for astronomers, i think i'm going to start up an online shop! lol :)

Have you got used to it and do you get it with any of the other LX's?

This is the only LX I have but it does not happen with my other eyepieces (25mm and 15mm Celestron Omni (I think) )

I also get another effect - I think its a faint relection of my retina - looks like a small spider's web off to one side. On the left if I use my left eye and on the right if I use my right eye. It does not move if you rotate either the eyepiece or the telescope (and it isn't a spiders web :p )

I haven't mentioned it before for fear of appearing barmy but it is definitely there.

I have learned to ignore it but would prefer it if it was not there.

well you don't sound barmy to me, not compared to me going on about my eyelashes lol. interestingly I have something similar to you with the LX in that I noticed a small, faint, greyish blob in the middle of the right half of the FOV which I'm pretty sure didn't move position when I took the EP in and out from swapping eyepieces, although I need to double check this. I was looking at the moon at the time so it stood out against the brightness. don't know what it is, may have to post another post about it at some point.

Ive found that waxing works really well :) , i tried shaving but that was too messy ;)

I also have to put my hand up and admit that i have eyelashes that my wife would kill for , but funnily enough never had any real issues looking through eyepieces except baader ortho's

well you don't sound barmy to me, not compared to me going on about my eyelashes lol. interestingly I have something similar to you with the LX in that I noticed a small, faint, greyish blob in the middle of the right half of the FOV which I'm pretty sure didn't move position when I took the EP in and out from swapping eyepieces, although I need to double check this. I was looking at the moon at the time so it stood out against the brightness. don't know what it is, may have to post another post about it at some point.

Yes that sounds like a similar thing. It really stands out when viewing the Moon. I think it might be a reflection of the optic disc (the dark spot in the retina where the optic nerve emerges).

Try looking with your left eye and you will find the blob moves over to the left.

This is the only LX I have but it does not happen with my other eyepieces (25mm and 15mm Celestron Omni (I think) )

I also get another effect - I think its a faint relection of my retina - looks like a small spider's web off to one side. On the left if I use my left eye and on the right if I use my right eye. It does not move if you rotate either the eyepiece or the telescope (and it isn't a spiders web :p )

I haven't mentioned it before for fear of appearing barmy but it is definitely there.

I have learned to ignore it but would prefer it if it was not there.

I can well believe that, get the same effect with a microscope using the mirror, I find that my eye cataracts are reflected back into the image. All part of suffering from Diabetes I am afraid :)

John.

I think floaters and bits in your eyes (most people seem to have some, and more as you get older) get illuminated and show up with high magnification when observing anything very bright. I always get this with the moon but it goes away with a filter to lower the brightness a bit. Nothing to do with any particular eyepiece.

Maybe the lashes issue is something to do with backlighting and reflections as you couldn't possibly actually see your own eyelashes directly as they are so close to your eyes? Have you tried shielding the eyepiece to block out external light (cloth over head or baseball cap)? It's not something I've ever experienced myself so I'm not sure what else to suggest.

Cheers,

Mike

Oh my goodness I am in stitches. I have visions of going out one night and bumping into a man with a cloth over his head.. why have you got a cloth over your head.. because I trimmed my eyelashes last night and the are all wonky but its ok I am an astronomer. Waxing Cloth over head trimming eye lashes what ever next lol

Oh my goodness I am in stitches. I have visions of going out one night and bumping into a man with a cloth over his head.. why have you got a cloth over your head.. because I trimmed my eyelashes last night and the are all wonky but its ok I am an astronomer. Waxing Cloth over head trimming eye lashes what ever next lol

Lol! It's not exactly going to aid our cause is it?! People probably think we're bonkers enough sitting outside in the dark, freezing our butts off till the early hours. Although it could be beneficial if you wanted a bit of privacy at a star party.

I think floaters and bits in your eyes (most people seem to have some, and more as you get older) get illuminated and show up with high magnification when observing anything very bright. I always get this with the moon but it goes away with a filter to lower the brightness a bit. Nothing to do with any particular eyepiece.

Maybe the lashes issue is something to do with backlighting and reflections as you couldn't possibly actually see your own eyelashes directly as they are so close to your eyes? Have you tried shielding the eyepiece to block out external light (cloth over head or baseball cap)? It's not something I've ever experienced myself so I'm not sure what else to suggest.

Cheers,

Mike

I know it doesn't seem possible, but I can clearly see the shadows of individual hairs. There is no external light sources as my garden is quite dark and I don't get it on my 2 plossls that came with the scope. Some other people have said they get this too. However I have tried out some advise I was given earlier in this post and that was to raise my eyebrows when I wanted to look at the bottom of the FOV which works OK and also I found not putting my eye socket right against the sides of eyeguard works well too, so I think I'm going to be OK with it and thankfully I don't think I am going to need to trim my eyelashes again lol

Archived