Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Fireball captured with Star Trails in Pembrokeshire

Friday night I headed out to Carew Castle to take a star trails image for an upcoming magazine feature I’m writing. Clear skies and no wind greeted me and is perfect conditions for this type of photography.

A few minutes into the sequence though I struck gold by capturing a massive fireball / meteor directly in my field of view, lucky isn’t the word! However I had to wait to the end of my hour long session to see if I had caught it.

It was quite slow moving burning bright greens and oranges as it travelled over the countryside, breaking into pieces was quite a surreal sight to witness.

carew_castle_space_junk_fireball.jpg

The image above is two, thirty second images merged to make one, one minute long exposure – the green colours from the fireball / meteor have been captured in the reflections from the waters that surround Carew Castle.

Below shows my sequence of one hundred and thirty consecutive, thiry second exposures stacked on top of one another using image stacking software. Taken just over an hour. Thankfully there were some nearby car headlights in the car park that illuminated the castle to give the scene more impact.

carew_castle_startrails.jpg

And then the whole sequence with all the images from my star trails session including the fireball images are merged into one image below.

carew_castle_space_junk_fireball_startrails.jpg

500PX >> http://500px.com/photo/14450499

cheers

drew

Archived