Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Good DSLR for 200p/EQ5 modest budget/2nd hand?

Aenima

I have an increasing interest in astrophotography, having been using a webcam for solar system objects and really getting into it, I want to start learning deep sky imaging even though my EQ5 is as yet undriven - I only have the hand slo-mo controls but want to upgrade afterwards, somehow getting the camera seems the first step.

Anyway, I digress (often) and am lookinjg at buying a 2nd hand DSLR body and was hoping to get some advice as to which general camera would be best for my scope and also my particular situation. I'd like to image things like clusters and brighter galaxies, and also need something not too technically complicated, i'm new to the whole deepsky thing.

Any advice would be welcome,

Regards

Aenima

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You won't go far wrong with a Canon 1000D , S/H bodies around £150.

Would recommend you avoid Nikons due to the lack of software that comes with the camera , the Canon EOS Utilities package is a great starting set-up and there's plenty of Canon targetted software about such as BYEOS and APT for the next steps.

Steve.

The Canon EOS 1100D is a good bet. It uses the latest image processor and is on a par with the best for noise. It is the bottom end model with few of the bells and whistles devoted photographers like but which are of no benefit for astro use. It has live view which enables you to see the image live on your computer screen without having to take an exposure. All functions required for AP can be controlled from computer and the whole imaging session can be automated without much trouble using software such as AstroPhotography Tool or BackYard EOS.

There have been a few DSLR cameras posted in the classifieds recently I believe.

James

Yes, I have an astro modded one on there myself at around the lowest price of an unmodded new camera body.

Beware of older models - they're cheaper but are less sensitive, or noisier, or don't have live view, or don't have all the controls available via USB from computer.

Thanks guys,

Sounds interesting Gina - would that be advertised on here, and for postal del.? I was wondering how hard or expensive they are to mod or get modded? Another good question is can AP be done with undriven mounts - ie hand slo-mo tracking?

Appreciate the sugggestions, thank you.

Regards

Aenima

Thanks,

Looks nice. Also you will have done the mod better than most, definitely better than I could. :)

What models would you class as older or unsuitable for AP in my case? More questions, sorry, in the absence of goto, will a single axis motor suffice for DSLR AP?

There are so many questions - I guess I should go back to beginners section :)

Aenima

Yes, I have an astro modded one on there myself at around the lowest price of an unmodded new camera body.

Beware of older models - they're cheaper but are less sensitive, or noisier, or don't have live view, or don't have all the controls available via USB from computer.

I hove both the Canon 1100D and a Modded 350D, I do use the 1100D a lot, its a very easy camera to use with great signal to noise, although I don't use it more because its got the live view (which the 350D hasn't got). I always find it easier and clearer to take a quick 5 second expsoure instead of using live view as live view only seems to work on the brightest of stars at very High ISO. I wouldn't rule out a older canon they still give great pics just look at what Quatermass does with his 350D on a 200p!! I've been very happy with mine when imaging M27, M57 and the Bubble neb:) I sometimes think about selling it as I'm skint and have 2 canons but I know I will regret it if I do! :D

Yeah, I am a huge fan of Marks works, this is why I have the set-up I have now.

So the live view isnt essential, and the objects you described above - is that a limit or more a example of some harder targets? I mean, are they considered as examples of easy or difficult?

Thanks 4 the advice, every bit helps.:)

Regards

Aenima

I also have a modded DSLR up for sale in the classified section. Admittedly it is one of the older ones but it comes with everything you need to get you started at a reasonably cheap price.

As for modding - if the built in IR filter is removed, it greatly increases the sensitivity to the red wavelengths where Hydrogen emits. as for necessary - well if you are after emission nebulae, its pretty much a must have, but for galaxies and stellar - no real advantage.

Yeah, I am a huge fan of Marks works, this is why I have the set-up I have now.

So the live view isnt essential, and the objects you described above - is that a limit or more a example of some harder targets? I mean, are they considered as examples of easy or difficult?

Thanks 4 the advice, every bit helps. :)

Regards

Aenima

he he no I wasn't boasting or anything:D these targets are just suitable for a modded cameras, any modded camera as they have ragions of Ha. Basically when you mod a camera you remove the IR cut filter which makes the camera a lot more sensative to the red stuff (Ha), so objects like M42 and Rosette nebula will respond better with a modded camera. You can still take good pics of say M42 without a modded camera but you will need longer exposures to bring out the red hydrogen regions, no biggy when starting out e.g. Quatermass used is 350D un-modded for quite sometime before he decided to mod it, still took great pics:) you can pick up an old Canon body unmodded for not much more than 100 pounds on Ebay, but if you have 300-350 pounds then I would go for the 1100D all depends on your budget really as with anything you get what you pay for.

Cheers Starfox,

I am needing to be a bit cautious as this purchase is not only a one off as far as astro photography and deep sky goes, but also it will put me in debt for quite a while - 0:Xo / so looking to limit damage here hehe. BOOM! goes the bank account....

Regards

Aenima

well if I was you, unless you already have a good day time camera, I would go for a cheap unmodded canon so if the Astro imaging doesn't work out for you at least you'll have a good camera for everyday use. this is the reason that out the two cameras I have I would only consider selling my modded 350D, I use the 1100D for everything, family photos and astro. I apologise to the above folk with modded cameras for sale.

Yeah man, understood.

I have a praktica bridge camera - not as useful as it sounds but more than adequate as i'm still trying to learn how to use it fully. The astro is well hard enough to learn atm so its really what i'm gonna focus on.

Appreciate the advice, as I always say 'every little helps'! (too many questions already)

Regards

Aenima

My little 350d is fantastic it took some getting used to at first but after I did the mod it was even better 130.00 body only and your laughing great cheap slr I love it.

motors just get a second hand ra drive motor and do the camera mod later. You can have loadsa fun without guiding so long as you have a good dark site that is vital for good images dark skies make a massive difference to your data. Take it slooow and learn a little each time you go out also practise your processing skills a lot but most of all have fun if its not fun its not going to last. Fun is standing outside freezing cold all night wrapped up like an eskimo wiping ice of your telescope by the way :D

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk 2

I've had a quick look on Ebay for you and if you search for Canon 300D theres one with a current bid of 31 pounds with 3 days to go, its a body only and the 300's had a bit of Amp glow but still if your as skint as me then it might appeal to you? Plus if you self modded it it would be worth about 150 on the astro market:D

Thanks again starfox.

Those bidding sessions always get me wound up not being sure of your purchase till last second, agh tension. :) Its just me, i'm already tense enough for two people.

Yeah, im probably skint as it gets short of selling my old scope to pay for it. But dont want to get rid of it, its sentimental even after less than a year!

Thanks for your help,

Regards

Aenima

Archived