Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Soul nebula HaRGB

3ggman

I finished this last night and I am quite pleased with how it has come out. Its not without it problems but we will get to those shortly.

Its 10 hrs in total (6 ha/4colour). I tried to experiment as much as possible in processing and in this version I used the Ha as a Luminance layer as I tended to show more detail.

I am not totally happy with the colour as its a little pinkish, I think I may need to gat another 30mins of Red to match the blue and green times.

The main problem is the halos around some of the larger stars, I have no idea whats causing it. If anybody has any thoughts I would love to hear them. They are not on the ha subs and seem to be more prominant on the Green and Blue layers. I don't think I had them in the last image I took but I will check the subs and see for sure.

post-6813-0-09969300-1348079083_thumb.pn

Hi Johnny,

There are loads of ways to get halos. I know most of them !

Reflections between CCD and cover slip. Between coverslip and filter. In the filter. Between filter and corrector. Or a combination.

Plus.... Bloat in the green and/or blue channels.

I suspect reflections somewhere on these. Doesn't help much I know,

Dave.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Dave, not sure if this helps, I have loaded up crops of the individual channels. Most of the halos seem to be on the Green and Blue channel and fairly centered on each star and none that I can tell on the Ha channel.

When you say green/blue bloat, is that something that is inherent in the optics or can it be fixed. I always though that CA would give a much tighter halo and be present on all stars.

Are there any general tell tale signs as to what might be causing it, I suppose what I am getting at is if its inherent in the optics I can live with it, for the moment but if it can be fixed, well thats a different story.

PS - If I remember correctly the filters were kind of loose (only very slightly) in their individual casings and had some room move.

Red

post-6813-0-54048200-1348148158_thumb.pn

Green

post-6813-0-02788900-1348148204_thumb.pn

Blue

post-6813-0-21348400-1348148244_thumb.pn

Ha

post-6813-0-52134400-1348148278_thumb.pn

really lovely image, not sure whats going on with the halos though, you shouldn't be getting that much CA with any Apo surely? and looking at your channels seperaley most of it looks like its on the green channel, if it was CA wouldn't most of it be in the Blue? very strange.

Very nice pic with some lovely star colour. The halos could be filter reflections but they are normally slightly off centre in relation to the stars. There was a period when this was quite a problem with astronomic filters, how long have you had them?

They do help. As Martin has said, and I think they aren't quite centred, the green and blue look very much like reflections. The red and Ha look less effected. In fact the Ha looks quite good and it may just be a slight blur from guiding ( Or not guiding :) )

I forgot to say the image is very nice so far. Nice star colour and very smooth. The Ha looks nice.

There are a few having problems of this sort even with the newer filters. I can't remember anyone having this trouble with the Atik cover slip but if it is that then I don't know of a way round it.

Do you have an empty filter slot to try a shortish, around a minute, exposure with nothing in the way ?

Dave.

Archived