Daytime Moon Viewing?

Yeah, it should be no problem at all. When I first set my scope up after getting it the first thing I looked at was the daytime moon.

The only thing I would be cautious of would be to not leave it set up anywhere near the sun, last thing you would want is the Sun to rotate around into your unfiltered mirror.

Just try it and see what you think. You'll notice less contrast and possibly greater air turbulence because of daytime heat, but very bright objects can benefit from being seen against a light sky (e.g. Venus at twilight). Shield your eye from any solar glare to get a better view. The brightest stars can also be viewed in daylight if you know where to point your dob - an interesting challenge if you feel up for it.

Don't worry, if the moon is very near the sun in the sky then you won't be able to see it at all except perhaps at dawn or dusk when it will be a very thin crescent. When using a scope in daylight just be aware where the sun is and don't sweep around wildly while looking through the eyepiece.

I'd definitely recommend giving it a try, too. I've even been trying to do a bit of imaging of the moon during the daytime recently. It is more tricky to get good focus because of the lowered contrast as others have said.

If you know where to find it, it's also possible to pick up Jupiter during the day. A few people have been imaging it that way.

James

This is something that sounds interesting to do. I've not thought much about viewing moon during the day, but was wondering today about dayime viewing of other DSOs etc.

Different equipment needed at all?

Depends how far into the day.

if it's up in broad daylight then I'll only look at it if I'm doing some solar viewing. I wouldn't get my scope out specifically for the moon during the day.

However, a 3 inch refractor and a 200P dob are two very different pieces of kit and it could be different for you.

I have done this a few times, it looks so different during the day, also managed to find Jupiter and Venus during the day as well, when they were all close together earlier in the year, thought it was a great sight.

with the exception of solar observing (where you need a suitable filter) it's a general rule I follow in astronomy that despite the various advice of others (which I often seek) I prefer to have a go at things. some say you cannot use magnification x with such a scope or see a certain object well in such and such a conditions or you cannot make something out of x material. just have a go yourself and enjoy it. sometimes you'll fail and sometimes you'll enjoy success but never be afraid to have a go.

was wondering today about dayime viewing of other DSOs etc.

You can't see DSOs in daytime - there isn't enough contrast against the sky (and no such thing as a "solar light pollution filter"). But moon, planets and the brightest stars are all observable.

Well I gave it a go on Saturday and I can see now why it's best to view at night, not only for the obvious. . It's dark!! . . But for an unforeseen factor. . The blumming kids, what with the football flying round the garden, constant head looking down the tube and general commotion

i did manage a quick look at the moon with my 25mm EP and that was ok, then tried using my Barlow which I coudn't see anything with

so prob need a little more practice n tinkering with, a quick look thru my 9mm which was ok again but on the whole I think night time is gonna rule to give me that wow factor?

Anyone else try it?

Archived