Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

6" Dobs 99 quid

OXO

I've had a look, what do you reckon for me for a starter scope, even though I had my eye on the 8" Skywatcher (?)

Caz,

Bushnell is an American company that, as far as I know, doesn't manufacture anything.  Instead, they source and market products - some dreadful, some rather good. 

Heres a link to its instruction manual. 

http://tinyurl.com/73d5h

Its components and optical quality will not compete with Skywatchers range of Dobsonians.  But, it will get you off to a good start and I doubt that you will find anything better for the price. 

Hope that helps,

Steve :clouds2:

Friend of mine has a Skywatcher 6" Dob, which is excellent. If it has a decent mirror, it can't be too bad. I don't buy that rot about it being worth 499 pounds, though. The Skywatcher 6" sells for $299 here, which is about 150 pounds. Still 99 pounds for a decent 6" scope isn't bad at all.

I'm afraid I don't fully agree with your comments on mounts. I have an EQ mount, and many times I wish I had a dob or an alt-az. The setting circles on an EQ mount in this price range are not usually very accurate, and I only use them for finding stuff when I have only a short distance to go from one object to another, as when Uranus was three degrees away from Mars, last approach. The dec is divided into 2 degree markings, and the RA into 12 minute markings (3 degrees) so it is easy to miss a small or indistinct object. Even when I am moving short distances with the setting circles, I use a search ep once I get close.

I would go with an EQ mount again for a planetary or lunar scope, but only because I can turn on the RA drive and watch with my hands in my pockets, or sketch. For DSOs, I can see the value of a dob. I often find it difficult to yank the EQ scope into position for looking at circumpolar objects. Once or twice I have pointed my polar axis perpendicular to the ground, and used the mount as if it were an alt-az, for looking at circumpolar stuff.

I think we should have a good knowledge of the constellations whatever mount we are using. It adds so much to the pursuit of astronomy. Besides, people are so impressed when you can point out Leo, or even Orion. I am amazed how many people don't know Orion.

Just remember not to correct some guy when he has just pointed at the Pleiades, and confidently told his girlfriend that it's the Little Dipper. :clouds2:

I think the old saying "if it seems too good to be true...it probably is..." has some relevance here.

I read a review comparing the Bushnell version of one of those "fun" 3 inch newtonians (the all-in-one plastic things) with the original Edmunds version and the Bushnell version fared rather badly.

John

North Somerset

• 4 months later...

You'd think it would be Synta or GSO, but I'm afraid not. Synta and GSO are the best bulk manufacturers in China but not the only ones. Seben and Optrons also source mirrors in China (apparently from the same manufacturer as Bushnall) and there's are very much of a lower standard and the word 'parabolic' doesn't really apply. Apparently a 'knife edge' test shows these tobe very poorly finished with a series of waves or donuts across the mirror. Their glass on the other hand isn't as bad and they do produce reasonable lenses and their smaller, longer focal length (spherical) mirrors are apparently pretty fair (the seben mak spotting scope is meant to be reasonably good).

The thing is, if someone can afford to sell these at £99, they must be making a profit (as we all know, altruism isn't a feature of your average shop, and neither should it be if they want to stay in business). SkyWatchers are already bulk imported and, OK, OVL act as 'middle man', but to my mind, it's reassuring that their 6" scopes have never got this cheap. For the extra £50/ £60 I'd get the skywatcher dob.

Andy

hi sorry for butting in on the thread but where can you find a skywatcher or any dob for £150-£160 the cheapest ive seen is the revalation 8 " for £199 if you collect [tunbridge wells u.k] if you can post any links i'd be gratefull after searching for weeks now it does'nt seem im anycloser to a decision for my limited budget of about £150

thanks in advance

Darrel

Darrel, Warehouse Express are also selling the 150mm Skyliner for £160, look at the Skywatcher Dobsonions.

Have you thought of putting a wanted ad in UK astro Buy & Sell, also here on the forum.

Somebody recently was selling a newtonian Skywatcher in the Members buy and sell, that could be a really good deal. Second hand equipment tends to be excellant quality and value, especially from members.

Also I don't know what part of the UK you are in, but if you have a dealer near, then an approach with cash could produce a good deal.

naz :lol:

• 2 months later...

I agree with warthog on this..

If you want to do some astro-photography etc then by all means go for an EQ mount but if its just for viewing I would go for the dob option.

My brother had a john braithwaite 10" on an equatorial mount and never used it that much due to the 3 trips needed just to get it outside, then the hassle of aligning it. We clubbed together and bought him a dob mount kit for xmas last year and ever since we got it fitted to the tube and set up,he's been out every clear night with it.

I personly got a revelation 10" dob for xmas and cant fault it, especially for the money. I would recommend it heartily. The quality of the focuser far exceed's that fitted to the sky watcher for starters.The mirror is of just as good quality and the fittings cant be faulted either.

If you have nothing now and a spare £99 then why not go for the little six inch? it can always be passed on to someone else when you upgrade to something larger at a later date. At least you will get some good views this summer.

The other good thing with using dobs is it not only maximises your viewing time but also helps you to learn your way around the sky. Of course if you want setting circles they can be easily made and retro-fitted to a dob mount.

Archived