Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

van den Bergh 7 and 9

pietervdv

Hello all,

This is my first colour image since a yearlong break from my astro activities.

So I joined up with 4 dutch astrophotographers and headed south to Les Granges, for the fifth time already.

I had my sights set on vdb7 and 9, a very dim and rarely imaged set of dark nebulae in Cassiopeia.

I have spent two full nights on this object under the pitch black skies down there.

Due to the very warm nights, I could only cool to about -9°C, which shows clearly on the subs.

Exposure was about 5.5 hrs worth of luminance en 1.5 h per colour, totaling 11 hours

Optics: TeleVue np101is

Mount: em-200

CCD: st-8300

Medium size:

www.astronomie.be/pieter.vandevelde/deepsky/vdb7&9med.jpg

Full size:

www.astronomie.be/pieter.vandevelde/deepsky/vdb7&9full.jpg

I hope you like it!

Best regards,

Pieter

vdb7&9thumb.jpg

Great work, Pieter. You never go for the easy stuff! These lovely dusty nebulae are a real challenge and bring something new to the forum. You always meke me think that I should spend more time on them but after nearly killing myself on the Ghost Nebula I'm still too cowardly to go back to them!

Olly

Great work, Pieter. You never go for the easy stuff! These lovely dusty nebulae are a real challenge and bring something new to the forum. You always meke me think that I should spend more time on them but after nearly killing myself on the Ghost Nebula I'm still too cowardly to go back to them!

Olly

Thanks! These one in particular was extremely faint, so I'm happy the way it turned out.

Pieter, it's a great image. Many of us don't attempt these tricky dark nebulae since as you point out they are very faint - but do they also require any special processing steps? Would be nice to know if you treat them like any normal LRGB, or whether you do extra steps to enhance the dark tracks?

Pieter, it's a great image. Many of us don't attempt these tricky dark nebulae since as you point out they are very faint - but do they also require any special processing steps? Would be nice to know if you treat them like any normal LRGB, or whether you do extra steps to enhance the dark tracks?

Well, no not really, you just need loads and loads of luminance. That way you can stretch the data alot, I always copy the L layer and apply a slight high pass filter on it to bring out the contrast a bit.

Apart from that all you need is get away from lightpollution ...

Archived