Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ6 Altitude Adjustment

daz

I think the 'lug' that the altitude adjustment clamps onto has been gauged. The adjustments I make are quite jerky and I can almost feel the bolt chewing into the lug. I've not yet had it apart to look in more detail, but I wondered....

I assume its all aluminium?

Can I get something harder welded to the lug, or is there another suggestion from you engineering chaps??

Ta

Thanks Jarbi, but it's not the bolts - I have replaced those, its the bit that the bolts actually turn against that is the problem.

Without a picture, its tricky to describe, but its a 'lump' on the base of the mount that the two alt bolts butt up against. I think its has been gauged out.

I'll have to strip it down, I think, but after Kelling!!!

Hi. Daz, how big is the lug?What I mean is, would it be big enough to oversize the hole. For example, if the existing hole is elongated with wear, which is what you expect is happening, why not drill it out to a larger diameter, using a known drill size. This would depend on how much surrounding metal would remain after you drill it. Don't want to weaken it too much. If it is feasable for you to do that, I could machine you a Teflon bush to press into the new hole, and I cold drill a hole in the bush to take a pin or bolt of whatever size you want.

May sound a bit difficult, but it isn't. You would Have to drill the hole. All I would need are the relevant measurements afterwards.

Over to you sir.

Ron. ;)

Hi Ron

Its not a problem with the bolt hole, its the lug that the bolt presses against to adjust the latitude that I think is the problem.

I'm having it apart tonight with my chum to see what can be done.

I'll keep you updated!

OK, we NOW think that the problem is in the tightness of the mount on the altitude wedgy thing (you'll get used to my technical terms, don't worry!)

So, it looks like I'll be taking the side plates off and tweaking the nylock nuts and three allen screws!

This weekends operation....!!

just setting up my new EQ6. i've noticed that you have to wind in the alt adjuster on the polar scope end of the RA axis quite a bit to achieve the 52 degrees for UK, then locking the bolt on opposite side tends to move it back a couple of degrees say back to 50 degrees.

so its a case of overadjust back to around 54 then the other side brings it back to where you want it.

that bolt on the opposite side to polar scope end seems a bit less "solid" in its feel as you tighten it, so its best not to go mad and overtighten!

Archived