Fitting filters to canon 15x50is binos

Stu

This may be a crazy idea but I wondered about the possibility of fitting filters, OIII or UHC-S to my Canon 15x50is binoculars.

I have 2" filters, and understand that the Canons have 58mm threads. Does anyone know where I could get a step down ring to give this a go, and which size I would need, 58mm to 50mm?

Any comments or help appreciated.

Stu

Many thanks both. Ended up getting the step down rings from SRB and two 58mm Canon lens caps from Bristol Cameras.

I needed 58mm to 48mm step down rings and they fit very well, and hold the filters perfectly. Will mess around with neodymium and UHC-S and see what it does.

Thanks

Stu

Me too, but it's going to have to wait until after full moon which is swamping everything.

I tried briefly with a neo filter one side and UHC-S the other. Was surprised how little it dimmed the view on the UHC-S side so will do some experimenting and see what works best. Am just hoping that they may be useful to take to a dark site when a scope is not possible.

Stu

Have posted this elsewhere, but thought I would update this thread too.

I've just tried the binos with one OIII and one UHC-S filter which is all I've got currently. It's a lovely night out there but no chance to get the scope out unfortunately.

After only about 15 mins dark adaptation I managed to see the Eastern Veil with averted vision. Pretty chuffed really because with better night and at a darker site it means that the filters are worth using. Just scanning around the sky showed decent contrast and better viewing generally.

I also picked up M57 and M27 which I've not looked at in binos before.

Generally quite pleased with the results :D

Cheers

Stu

Thanks Alan. It turned out I needed 58mm to 48mm step down rings which work very well with the 2" filters.

Shane, I'll definitely be giving that a go from PSP assuming we have some decent skies. I thought I glimpsed it from Dorset without the filters but wasn't exactly sure of the scale I was looking for, I understand it is huge. I definitely saw brightening in the sky background in the right area.

Stu

Good stuff. I've certainly found it has an effect and am looking forward to trying from a nice dark site. I originally intended to get another OIII or UHC-S filter so they were matching pairs but it actually seems to work quite well with the mix. If I'm feeling rich I may get one in a while.

Stu

Archived