Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Brough Harbour Slipway

Myself and a couple of others from the Caithness Astronomy group,Gordon Mackie and Maciek Winiarczyk went out to Brough harbour

on a pre aurora reccy.We reckoned this would make a great scene for a good aurora display.The bright glow on the horizon comes from the Flotta gas flare

stack.

IMG_3879flickr.jpg

IMG_3754flickr.jpg

IMG_3761flickr.jpg

The last shot shows a faint hint of aurora on the horizon to the left of the rock stack.Thinkit will make an impressive scene

when a strong display comes our way.

Cheers Simon. The first one was taken around 00.30 so the skies were prpoer darl but the cluod had started to rollin.

The first two were taken around 22.45 so the twilight was still giving the sky a nice blue glow.

Cheers Simon. The first one was taken around 00.30 so the skies were prpoer darl but the cluod had started to rollin.

The first two were taken around 22.45 so the twilight was still giving the sky a nice blue glow.

Geez thats a crock of rubbish,think i had been on the drink.

Th first one was taken around 00.30 so the skies were proper dark but the cloud had started to roll in.

The SECOND two were taken around 22.45.

Just noticed something,where's the bliddy edit button?

Thanks Maciek.My milky way shots were kinda spoiled by a lot of very thin cloud but it was a nice night,calm and not cold.

I can imagine standing there in the middle of winter with a strong north wind blowing in our faces,freeezing cold waitng for the aurora to appear.

No pain,no gain. :grin:

Stewart these are awesome photos as usual. You take some excellent landscapes.

Do you want me to edit something for you having regards to your comments above. But to be honest a picture speaks a 1000 words.

Mark

Thanks Mark.Its okay,my keyboard just took a dyslexic turn and as usual i never checked what i had typed.A good typist i aint.

Thanks Maciek.My milky way shots were kinda spoiled by a lot of very thin cloud but it was a nice night,calm and not cold.

I can imagine standing there in the middle of winter with a strong north wind blowing in our faces,freeezing cold waitng for the aurora to appear.

No pain,no gain. :grin:

Yes I have exactly the same problem with Mily Way shots. Regarding to shooting aurora during cold winter, that is why I have trained to drive down in dark to harbour last time, can take refuge in my car seting up camera on time lapsw before ;). Ok, joking, but foreground in this harbour is quite nice for aurora shots, esspecially if water would be flat giving nice reflections.

Yes I have exactly the same problem with Mily Way shots. Regarding to shooting aurora during cold winter, that is why I have trained to drive down in dark to harbour last time, can take refuge in my car seting up camera on time lapsw before ;). Ok, joking, but foreground in this harbour is quite nice for aurora shots, esspecially if water would be flat giving nice reflections.

Next time we're there and its cold we'll just have a big bonfire on the shore.That should realy confuse the seals.

Archived