NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

VIXEN NPLs or REVELATION eps?

its like this i have a MAX budget of £40 per ep and ive come down too these two makes. i have a sw explorer 130 and want too gather up too 4 maybe 5 eps. i dont want too use a barlow as i want too keep it simple. i wish too view planets up close.....dso.....and sunspots ....(already have a baader filter; home made ready). its defo going too be one of these makes, i just want your opions on which one would be the best? many thanks

I really don't think there is much in it in terms of optical quality. Go for whichever you can get at the best price !.

365 Astronomy seem to have decent prices on the GSO plossls - GSO make the Revelation ones:

http://www.365astron...-c-4_25_59.html

Personally I'd probably go for the Vixens as I've long been a fan of their products but in all honesty there is probably nothing in it at all, optically speaking.

Edit: I've just noticed that the Revelation plossls are a £ or two less at Telescope House than the GSO's above

Like John I would go with the Vixens, for the simple reason that I like the company and their products.

In all honesty though, optically they will be so similar in terms of performancey that you should go with the ones that look better to you. :)

Sorry, can't seem to edit my post?

Just wanted to add that I have owned both types and there was nothing in it, I kept the NPLs though, for no real reason to be honest, just like the design. The optics on both will be VERY sharp contrast excellent. Compared with TV plossls, there in not much in it to be honest.

For viewing planets, Plossls with a shorter focal length of 15mm have very little eye relief, which isn't a problem if you don't wear glasses or have long eyelashes... but if you do, the TMB Designed from Sky's the Limit would be a good alternative, and they are £36 each :).

In terms of choosing between, they will probably be optically the same, just go for the cheaper one :).

In general the Vixens are said to be very good, especially at £30 a piece.

They are however plossl's and at shorter focal lengths will have short eye relief and could be uncomfortable, even impossible.

I know TV's are specified cown to f/4 but not sure about the Vixens, so below 10mm they may not perform too good, I assume your 130 is an f/5 scope ?

The TMB's are probaly the only alternative in the price range, the BST's costing £47 I assume place these outside.

Enjoy using your new eyepiece and building up your collection. I have GSO Revelation plossls (as well as some Meade 4000s) and over the last few years I've found the 32mm to be my most used eyepiece, followed by the 12mm and 9mm.

Last night for the first time I managed to use my new Vixen NPL 10mm eyepeice and Revelation Astro 2.5x Barlow and had a good look at the Moon.

After nearly blinding myself because I forgot to put my moon filter on I have to say the difference in the Vixen and barlow over the Skywatcher one supplied with my scope is fantastic, the Vixen is so much clearer and sharper and used with the new barlow (something I couldn't do with the Skywatcher EP and barlow) the detail on the Moon was outstanding,.

Very impressed with the Vixen, now got a 25mm on order. They are fantastic value for anyone on a tightish budget.

Thats my next three ep.....9 12 &32. I must admit for the price, they feel the business. Just hope visually their the business. Lot better than my stock pieces anyway :D

The best night's viewing I've had was with these EPs and I know there's at least one person here on SGL who prefers these to Televue plossls. I've found them to be very good value for money, well built and give great views.

Archived