Revelation Photo-Visual Eyepiece kit

Any thoughts on the Revelation kit? I currently have the Celestron 130EQ, and between bulding a new house and shifting about I have lost the eye pieces and also my Nikon DSLR Adapters etc. I am also going to buy a Skywacher Dob shortly also (When I decide which one), either the 200p or 250p.

Basically my question is would the Revelation kit be a good edition to both the 130EQ and the Dob? Hopefully money well spent as I would be able to use the 130EQ again and would have a better selection for the Dob.

Am I also right in thinking that all I need is a T Ring again to start taking pics?

I cant get over how good of value the kit is BTW, seems like a lot of kit for the money :icon_bounce:

From what I have read, the revelation set is one of the better versions of this type of kit. General wisdom says that although they appear good value, any component that you don't use is a waste of money and eventually the 'deal' doesn't look so great in the end. Personally I would buy separate eyepieces, preferably second hand so that when you upgrade and sell them on you get most of your money back and your time experimenting with them has cost very little. You can certainly ask members here on affordable suggestions that will help you formulate a wish list before looking on sites such as UK Astro Buy & Sell (..can view that site here) or you can wait and amass 250 posts to view the classifieds section on this forum. For your camera you will need a T-ring such as this one which permits attachment of an adapter such as this one to permit the camera to be secured to the the focuser. Hope that helps.

James

From what I have read, the revelation set is one of the better versions of this type of kit. General wisdom says that although they appear good value, any component that you don't use is a waste of money and eventually the 'deal' doesn't look so great in the end. Personally I would buy separate eyepieces, preferably second hand so that when you upgrade and sell them on you get most of your money back and your time experimenting with them has cost very little. You can certainly ask members here on affordable suggestions that will help you formulate a wish list before looking on sites such as UK Astro Buy & Sell (..can view that site here) or you can wait and amass 250 posts to view the classifieds section on this forum. For your camera you will need a T-ring such as this one which permits attachment of an adapter such as this one to permit the camera to be secured to the the focuser. Hope that helps.

James

Totally agree.

I have the revelation eyepiece kit and use all of the eyepieces with both my OTA's, great value for money, I'm not an eyepiece connoiseur though (yet) so you might want to take this with a pinch of salt:) I don't think you can go wrong with this kit for the price though, also the above advice about buying second hand is very good advice, most of my kit is second hand:)

I also have the same kit, though in it's previous incarnation and all the eyepieces have seen a fair bit of use. I have started replacing them with more expensive ones that I will probably keep for some time now, though I still use the 32mm a good deal. Unfortunately my 10" f/4.7 dob does show up the deficiencies of that eyepiece though, so I think it may have to be retired fairly soon.

I think it is fair to say that they are good value eyepieces without being the best and if you want to experiment they are not a bad way to do so. On the other hand if you have a good idea what you want it might make more sense to spend a bit more money on fewer actual eyepieces.

James

I bought the kit with my first scope as it seemed a good price and gave me a chance to try out the various eyepieces. I don't tend to use the high power ones that often but at least I have them when viewing conditions permit. I am not sure what use you will be able to make of the DSLR with your Dob unless you are getting one which tracks?? I've been able to get a few lunar shots with mine but that's about it.

Guys, thanks for all the replies. I have decided against the kit, and I'm now deciding on some singles to get me going again (Which is easier said than done)

Any recommendations on a good 32mm Plossl? I have also read about the Tal barlow although that seems hard come by.

So I have ordered the T ring for the Nikon and an adapter, all I need is a good 32mm and a Barlow to get me back to viewing and snapping

Cheers

....... Any recommendations on a good 32mm Plossl? I have also read about the Tal barlow although that seems hard come by.....

GSO do good plossl eyepieces and their 32mm is no exception. The Revelation plossl eyepieces in the set are made by GSO I believe so, if you could find a single 32mm Revelation plossl for sale then that would be good. Altenatives worth looking for would include the Vixen NPL 30mm (First Light Optics sell those) or a Meade 4000 series 32mm plossl which can be bought used for £25 or so.

This site is excellent for used astro equipment and is well worth a browse:

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/

TAL barlows are good quality for their price but can be hard to find. I recently tried a Revelation 2.5x barlow and that seemed to work well even with the best quality eyepieces. Here it is:

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Revelation_Astro_2_5x_Barlow_Lens.html

Cheers for the replies, gives me something to think about. I will check out some singles and decide.

Ohh btw, no edit post? This site won't agree with my bad spelling and grammar then :icon_redface: (addition rather than edition)

I am afraid this facility has been withdrawn, please see SGL Announcement & Events for the reason why this has been done.

John.

Cheers man for the reply.

Here is a link to the Meade for £46 : http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/meade-4000-series-32mm-super-plossl-ep-1-25_d4960.html this the one?

And the Vixen at only £40 : http://www.firstlightoptics.com/vixen-eyepieces/vixen-npl-eyepieces.html

Thanks for the help as choosing eye pieces can send your head into a spin :)

50 quid is fine although I would go more if I thought it was worth it, I will buy new, something to get me up and running again, probably going to need a cheshire collaminator also (My scope took a tuble when moving house) :(

John, went with the Revelation 2.5x barlow and the Meade 4000 32mm (Thanks for the help) Done some searching on the forum and only good things have been said about the two.

Many thanks, that gets me back on my feet again.

I take it that if a Scope falls it will need a collamination? (Guess I will know in a couple of days)

Fine. I did find a GSO 32mm Plossl here for just £34.00 but if you have already ordered the Meade, then no problem:

http://www.365astronomy.com/32mm-gso-plossl-eyepiece-p-14.html

You will need to collimate the scope from time to time to ensure that it's performance is up to scratch. You need a cheshire eyepiece for that - they cost around £30 I seem to recall.

You will by now be working out that buying the scope is the cheap bit !

Cheers John.

Ordered from Telescope house, around £85 delivered, happy enough. I know what you mean about the scope being the cheap bit, think it was like £120 new on Amazon at the time (The 130EQ). Will be buying the Skywatcher dob soon also to add to the collection. Luckily still one of my cheaper hobbies :)

Also bought the collamination tool from ebay at like 22 quid. Hopefully that will keep me busy the weekend then

Goodluck

Archived