Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Raci Type finder or Straight through corrected image Finder

Hello everyone just debating whether to get a Raci Finder scope (90 degrees) or a Straight

Corrected image Finder Scope for use on a Equinox 120 refractor.

I can see the advantage of the 90 degree eyepiece position of a raci to avoid strained necks

etc,but losing the ability to use it to roughly eyeball a target by viewing down its axis.

Then I noticed the Explore scientific corrected image straight through scope which is illuminated

With what looks like a nice reticule,anyone used this finder and if so whats your verdict if so.

Would I be better with a Raci and a red dot finder or something along those lines to get me in the

right general position.

Thanks in anticipation for everybodys help.

Thank you and clear skies!

Quite happy with my straight through, non-corrected finder. Sometimes takes me an extra couple of seconds to figure out the orientation but can't justify spending on a corrected finder just for that. If you buy a RACI I would think you could still sight down the main body for rough alignment, or just use the main scope tube.

I use an RA 8x50 together with a red dot finder on my ED120. The RA finder shows the sky as the refractor does which I find helpful for the fine star hopping I use it for. The RDF gets the scope to within a degree of the right part of the sky. The RDF on it's own is enough most of the time but the optical finder is useful to find objects and those which need some magnified star hopping.

Thanks for the input john much appreciated,another way of achieving the same thing,at the moment i only have an inverted straight through finder but maybe I should just give it more time and be a bit more patient I have a bit of a struggle thinking upside down and wrong way round.I should imagine that would improve with time.

I would go with a RACI finder as I find them easiest when used with a star atlas. The image in the finder directly relates to what you can see on the page. Eyeing along one is no different than a regular finder and not even an issue IMO.

I did use a regular straight through one for many years and i will say that after a little while you do get used to the orientation but it's not as easy to relate to star charts when using one. This is the reason I wouldn't go back to one, even though if I'm honest I still often move the scope the wrong way initially when using the RACI finder :D (old habits die hard I guess).

As I still have difficulty in geting my mind around the various telescope EP views I like to keep everything "the right way up" until the last moment - so for me a Telrad / MRDF and a RACI finderscope help me find what I am looking for.

Archived