Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

3 more messiers bagged.

Matt Scunthorpe

My first ever report to bear with me.

Considering the day had been cloudy and rainy i was surprised to see it perfectly clear around 22.10, so i had to set up.

I couldnt polar align as normal due to next doors stupid overgrown bush thing so had to guess where abouts north was as per normal.

I started off with M92 as I failed to find it last time out, and this time i found it straight away! Not as bright as M13 like many say, but im glad i managed to actually find it. Flicking through TLAO, i wanted M10 and M12 but they were too low and blocked by the house behind, so i moved onto M56. I had a quick look at M57 just to make sure i knew i was in the right area, and as its one of my favorite objects.

I spent some time look at Albireo, never really looked at doubles before but this one was really beautiful. M56 i found a real pain, i had to scan back and forth maybe 10-12 times before i noticed something, Im pretty certain i found it, but it was barely there, i sometimes lost it even when it was in the EP, is this how it normally is or was something wrong? After doing a quick sketch and notes to compare to Stellarium i decided to move onto M27.

M27 i had been looking forward to and found it with no trouble, it was fairly faint, but you could make out the two ends, and a bit of a dip in between them.

I called it a night after M27 as it was midnight and i hadnt done my dinner for work the next day. I tried to look at what i found on Stellarium and compare the stars from my sketches to see if i had seen them, but none of them matched, but i know M27 WAS M27, so maybe i need to play around with some settings.

All in all, im pleased with how the night went as my star hopping skills arn't great.

Clear skies.

" i sometimes lost it even when it was in the EP, is this how it normally is or was something wrong?"

Maybe its to do with not using averted vision ?. If a faint object is in view, and you look directly at it, then it may seem

to disappear.

Good to see you adding a few more M,s to the list

Good report Matt.

I'm fairly new myself but the more I practice the better I seem to be getting. Especially averted vision, I nearly always keep looking back at the object then it fades or disappears.

I found M56 to be quite dim myself. M92 & M13 I look at all the time really good view in the 200P I think was looking at the last night.

Happy hunting

Sounds like you had a good night Matt.

I was struggling a bit myself last night, dew was a nuisance and although the milky way showed up well I couldn't find the NGC objects I was looking for in Cepheus and M13 didn't look very good so I gave up.

Well done Matt. Personally I prefer M92 over M13 even though it's smaller.

M56 can be difficult, it depends on the conditions.

Like most objects though, once you've found them you never forget where they are and each subsequent viewing becomes better revealing more detail.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice report Matt.

I've found that globs need a bit of time spent on them in the same way as galaxies do. You'll find each one has it's own pattern and is just a little bit different from the last.

Theyre was also some wildlife living under some bags of gravel we have at the back of the house, quite scary considering its probably a moth or something!

I got charged at by a badger at a dark site a while ago, all I had to arm my self was a HB pencil and my sketch pad! So I did the only sensible thing and ran for my life. It was only a badger but it sounded like a rhino, every little noise seems amplified in the dark. :)

Archived