Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Open Club  ·  33 members

West Midlands

This weekend?

steve_bham

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's looking decidedly poo on the weather front. We get a few patches of clear when it's dark but that's all we get. It's more rubbish than a rubbish truck that's overflowing with rubbish! LOL Fingers crossed we get some clear skies that last longer than 5 minutes :D

It's looking decidedly poo on the weather front. We get a few patches of clear when it's dark but that's all we get. It's more rubbish than a rubbish truck that's overflowing with rubbish! LOL Fingers crossed we get some clear skies that last longer than 5 minutes :D

Starting to clear now!

I haven't got to go back to work until Tuesday, think I'll put the scope out to cool. Saw Andromeda the other night through my bins so going to try and see it through the scope tonight. Not sure if the new UHC filter will help.

Why is it always clear when I have to be up early for work the next day :(

Yeah, I saw how clear it was last night, until about half 10 when I was gonna crack the scope out for an hour and the rain clouds had started rolling in! Grrr!

I haven't been able to get the scope out properly for a few months now :(

Hi To all, I was out last night (19th) set up about 8 ish had a fiddle with some cables for a while and got up and running, was out till about 11 ish - first night for a while - must say this larger aperture and an OIII filter absolutely amazing the ring and the dumbell were very bright (really breathtaking), the blue snowball and the blinking planetary stood out with so much brightness out from the centres, popped over to the double cluster in Perseus, can't get them both in the field of view due to the focal length - was amazing, just happened to look up and saw the ISS (I think) just passing the lower end of Cygnus moving SSW to NNE and disappearing into the Earths shadow. So great night - no real cloud over Rowley - set the mount on "tour" mode, but my back garden has houses running up the hill from SW to SE so missing alot of the Messiers - but I think that low down the pollution will attack the views anyway. Wonder if theres been any observing over at Cosford - like to go over there - can't take the scope I've only got a motorbike - I'd be ok with that thing strapped on me back !!!! - wonder where the observing site is and how dark are the skies are there and would it be ok for me to pop along - can anyone PM me with the location and details of who to contact. Thanks all and regards Paul.

I haven't been able to get the scope out properly for a few months now :(

I think it pays to take a chance with the weather. I had three good nights observing last month and four (so far) this month. Also went out three times and spent a couple of hours looking at clouds before going home again, so it doesn't always work out.

Maybe I'm lucky that I can go a night without much sleep and make up for it the next night, and it's a good job I don't use dangerous machinery at work :laugh:

Great blog there Northern Soul Man!!

Finally got the scope out last night...I'd actually gotten into bed and just couldn't rest knowing there were clear skies out there! I got back out of bed and went out! I believe I am turning into a true astronomer because of this! haha :)

Perfect conditions in regards to light pollution...No Moon or planets etc - It was finally time to try my luck with clusters, nebula and galaxies...I have never really looked for them and was itching.

I cracked out the Star Walk App on the iPad and ventured outside...I wish I had a guided scope but I guess some of the fun is star walking and using stars as references then all of a sudden there it is!

Firstly I tried my luck with M51 Whilpool Galaxy but for the life of me, tried my best to find it with no luck...was a bit gutted.

Not losing hope, I searched for M57 Ring Nebula - I don't own a UHC or OIII Filter so didn't hold much hope but low and behold, a grey smoke ring popped into view...Was able to make out the hole with averted vision...Def need a nebula filter! :)

Lastly, saw M57 Andromeda Galaxy...there was a little fog when I found this just above the Andromeda Constellation...Could only really make out the smudge of the Galaxy, this was mainly due to fog and I think my scope was slightly out of collimation.

I managed to find a couple of Star Clusters but with not having any wide view eyepieces I couldn't really marvel at them.

Just from last night's viewing, I know I need some wide view EP's (think I may invest in the Nirvana's) and def a UHC and OIII Filter...I can't decide which size to get with the filters though...I think I may go down the 2" route as the Baader Zoom has the 2" attachment...aghhh decision! :)

Nice 1 Dan, the summer nights aren't really the best for observing, the sky never really gets dark as the Sun doesn't really set very low below the horizon, but stick with the bright Messier objects, we have really bright skies in the Midlands due to the street lights in built up areas.

Filters will help a little, but they darken the view in the eyepiece and give the stars false colours, if your searching for a particular object, get to a rough position near to the object and then sweep the sky in all directions, with a bit of patience you'll find them, the Whirlpool is very faint and spread over a large piece of sky, don't bother ordering a light pollution filter until you've tried your baader neo filter as this cuts down on skyglow and lets more light through than a light pollution filter - so try it, it may help.

Don't worry Moggot, missing the odd night outside will make the next outing all the more special - regards all and clear skies. Paul.

• 2 weeks later...

The weather forecast for Saturday 8 September is encouraging, so who is planning to be out and about? Where are you going?

I am hoping to get out, possibly to my usual Coleshill spot. Are any of the "Cosford Crew" planning to go out?

Hi Steve, not sure if your 1 of the Cosford gazers or not but wonder if your going out tonight ( Sat 8th Sept). Wonder if it would be possible to come along if your going up to Cosford and where abouts is the site exactly - Cheers Paul.

Hi fingers crossed it will be clear and I'll be going over tonight. More than welcome.

The weather turned out to be pretty good in the end. At Chadwick End, the cloud had become patchy by 10pm and by midnight it was a completely clear sky. We packed up at 2am and it seemed a shame to be leaving such a clear sky, with the Milky Way easily visible, but by that time the cold had beaten me and I was fighting a losing battle against the dew.

Still, Neptune, Uranus and the Dumbbell Nebula seen, so a pretty good night.

Yes just to echo what Andy has said had a great weekend Friday and Saturday nights.

I tried my new EPs out last night,well new to me,that i recently bought from an SGL member,including a 2" 32mm Panaview and what a brilliant EP that is.

Plaides looked fantastic in it filling the whole view with stars.Fantastic..

And Jupiter looked spectacular with the 32mm with its moons and could easily see the bandingwith it but looked even better in the 5mm BST.Fantastic.

Coldest night so far for me but the farm site gave all round great views and we could just about see the Milkyway right over head.

It will be even better when there is no Moon showing.

I've just gotta hunt down Uranus and Neptune meself now :ohmy:

Archived