Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Open Club  ·  33 members

West Midlands

This weekend?

steve_bham

Hi Ya Paulus and Porky, sounds like you both had a good nights observing was planning to go up to Cosford Saturday but the clouds came over here in Rowley - sounds like a nice site wonder how far it is from Rowley. The Moon really does brighten the night sky though - I've seen "hints" of the Milky Way from my back garden when directly overhead - when I say Hints its just a general brightening but nothing as yet from a dark site. I think we have to get used to travelling to darker sites from here - I've never been to a dark site yet.

Guys you had a good en then thanks for the posts and regards from a jealous light polluted cloudy Midlander!!!. Paul.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh flip I missed it. Didn't get round to jumping on here yesterday. Could someone pm me when you're going to Cosford next please? I get an email when there's a pm so if I miss the post here I'll still catch it. Could you let me know (pm) where the Cosford site is too please so I can have an idea where to go and how far it is?

Thanks guys, looking forward to getting out to a darker site with the scope now the nights are getting darker, got to make a dew shield for my Telrad first though lol

I don't think anyone went to the Cosford site Saturday night.??

I know me and Andy was going but it was called off which is why we went to the Chadwick End Farm site which was very short notice for them,but we was lucky to get in there as no one was camping on the field.

Turned out to be a great night if a little chilly towards the end.Time for the thermals to come out i think ;)

I do know where the Cosford site is (I think) but as I don't know what the arrangements are with the owners I will stay away until one of the regulars is there. The last thing I want to do is drive into the wrong field, upset the owners and mess things up for everyone else.

It seems like there are a number of people who would like to meet up for a gaze but we are having trouble getting ourselves organised. I have started a topic entitled "Lets meet for a gaze". We can use this to arrange to meet and do a bit of group gazing. If you "follow" the topic you can get email notifications.

Hi Guys, thanks for the posts, can someone pm me with the location of the Cosford site please for future nights out - think its going to be hard to arrange a meet up as not everyone gets on here at the same time - it would be great to meet up with you all, as we all have the same interest in the night sky - I know its difficult with work and cloudy skies - also the distances involved to get to the sites - its no good going there only to be met with cloud when we are all travelling from the different corners of the Midlands!!!. When we have low pressure systems coming in 1 after the other - you can guarantee cloud cover, its only when high pressure takes over that there is some degree of certainty of clear skies - but not always - thanks for the heads up guys

Only I say Cosford as this is the closest for me and probable the easiest to get to at short notice. Thanks all and regards Paul.

Hi Guys, thanks for the posts, can someone pm me with the location of the Cosford site please for future nights out - think its going to be hard to arrange a meet up as not everyone gets on here at the same time - it would be great to meet up with you all, as we all have the same interest in the night sky - I know its difficult with work and cloudy skies - also the distances involved to get to the sites - its no good going there only to be met with cloud when we are all travelling from the different corners of the Midlands!!!. When we have low pressure systems coming in 1 after the other - you can guarantee cloud cover, its only when high pressure takes over that there is some degree of certainty of clear skies - but not always - thanks for the heads up guys

Only I say Cosford as this is the closest for me and probable the easiest to get to at short notice. Thanks all and regards Paul.

Hi Paul.

Perhaps you would be better suited going to the Wolves and Black country Forum on here rather than the West Mids??

I think the info you want is in there?

Hi Paulus thanks for the link, I've been reading the Wolves thread for a while just waiting for someone to PM me the location, looked at Chadwick End on Google, think from me its about 35 miles - I only say Cosford because its half the distance and remember someone saying that the Milky Way is visible from there (much better than my home location). Its hard I think to find one place that suits everyone and I know that there's going to be a certain amount of travelling - I dont have a car - just a motorbike so can't get the scope there anyway I'd be ok with that thing strapped to me back!!! - Thanks again Paulus regards Paul.

Hi Paulus thanks for the link, I've been reading the Wolves thread for a while just waiting for someone to PM me the location, looked at Chadwick End on Google, think from me its about 35 miles - I only say Cosford because its half the distance and remember someone saying that the Milky Way is visible from there (much better than my home location). Its hard I think to find one place that suits everyone and I know that there's going to be a certain amount of travelling - I dont have a car - just a motorbike so can't get the scope there anyway I'd be ok with that thing strapped to me back!!! - Thanks again Paulus regards Paul.

Argh i see.

Any chance of sharing a lift from someone local to you from here and sharing the fuel costs to go to further places??

I would be ok getting there on the bike its just trying to find the nearest location, I know that if its closer to a local town your going to get lights - its not too bad from my back garden - no lights and the lower portions of the sky blocked by buildings - I know - not ideal(observing over concrete/roof tiles) but on the clearest of nights the Milky Way at the zenith can just be glimpsed using averted vision - but only on the best nights. I used to be a member of Wolverhampton AS - but back in the days there was little public observing done - not sure wether its changed now or not.

I've never been to a dark site so it would probably blow me away - bet the views through your dobs are amazing under a dark sky. Cheers Paulus - have to get something sorted. Paul.

Archived