Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dark sky sites

valleyman

We seem to be getting some good suggestions on Dark sky sites.

It might be a good idea to PIN a Page just for Dark Sky sites in our Area.

jjust giving a brief outline of the site and its Googl Co-Ords.

Mat, Can you do

Pat

Having a map with a list of sites we intend to use with their coordinates might not be a great idea,problem is large sections of the forum is public access and non members can view,when you consider our hobby takes us to dark isolated areas and we have very expensive kit it puts us in a vulnerable position,I don't mind posting the Blaenavon sites co ordinates because I never observe there alone and you always have the boy racers and doggers to keep you company !.Ive got a avex light pollution map which you can zoom in on where you want to observe I will post it later ( I'm on my phone at the mo ).

Obviously you have to take precautions when going out at night, but at the moment we have dark site info tucked around all corners of the Group Forum.

Just thought it would be better to have it all located in one place. It is still available to members and non members at the moment.

If an individule is going to a dark site on their own then better not to advertise the fact on here.

Pat

Not a member but why not share dark sky sites via e-mails through your members? Here in the US, I never devulge the exact location of my sites for safety reasons but if you people seem to trust each other, I think going by the e-mail route is the safest way. Besides, you can always offer a couple to the non members reading your group like I am. That would be the best of both worlds :laugh:

When I say non members I mean people who are not registered on Sgl,you can access all of the info within the groups without signing in ( just as a guest ),if you type ' Blaenavon site ' into a search engine,links to posts can be found.It's for that reason I wouldn't want a map with sites on,what I can do,if people send me the coordinates I can put them on a map and pm them to anyone who needs them.

• 2 weeks later...

i did make a map for that, but i quickly stoped using it when i releised what mat said could happen, i suppose a map could be made up, and shared like the google map "where we are" (i could dig out the old one) but agin theres that security problem of people going out with £££ of kit and get attacked.

i have got a google map of where we live as apposed to light pollution too if any one wants a copy

Talking about dark sky sites - I did manage to get out to Llyn Briane in July but only from the South (Llandovery side - not the North (Tregaron) side where David mentioned earlier this year. Its an easy drive - perhaps 20 minutes up country lanes away from Landovery. In the shadow of the damn theres a great place to set up - I'm sure it would be pitch black in the evenings though I'd have to double check theres no security lights around the damn itself. The problem was there are some pretty high sided Valleys to the South so not sure that would be ideal for such a long drive. I actually took quite a few photos but left them on my phone which I gave to my daughter in Oxford on loan for a while so will have to wait a little longer for the evidence- but here are the google ccordinates that Ant spotted some time ago http://goo.gl/maps/hd6bY (think you need to cut and paste the ref into your browser)

After checking that followed on North past the damn and there you are on top of the Valley sides and there is a place to pull in and set up but no 360 unobstructed views. When I get the phone back I'll post. Not sure for the distance involved it would be "the place" to go but still worth considering. Think Trecastle and the Drovers on the Epynt are still my two best sites to date though will keep on the look out over the next few months if these clouds ever roll away.

they disabled the edit function because members were abusing it, putting unpleasent stuff editing and wathing the flaming happen, which is good now its gone, but it means real reasons for editing cant happen, iv given up attemptig to spell check because i dont think i should have to, as i have a genurine reason to need to edit, but any way the decisions done

the link didnt work (are you using the url in your top bar) try right clicking on the map and click whats here it will give the direct google cor ords for you to paste

Its amazingly dark there Ant - the only thing is its on a slight gradient and you can see the cars in the distance though its no big deal - if you stop before getting there at the pull in past the Drovers its a flat hard standing off the road with no lights anywhere and pretty panoramic(as long as the Drovers isn't being used as a billet but its pretty rare apparantly) - make sure your dad stays with you the first time- its pretty isolated up there.

The difference between the skies at Mynydd Epynt and your home in Caerphilly will be like light and day

good luck

After checking that followed on North past the damn and there you are on top of the Valley sides and there is a place to pull in and set up but no 360 unobstructed views. When I get the phone back I'll post. Not sure for the distance involved it would be "the place" to go but still worth considering.

That's the dogs ******ks up there Steve. Too far for me to drive back after an observing session so it would mean camping. Its been on my 'to do' list for ages but needs the weather to play ball on a weekend of the new moon for it to be a cert, maybe maybe this autumn or winter an opportunity will arise. Just struck me now can I actually fit my tent and stuff in the car with my dob :shocked:

That's the dogs ******ks up there Steve. Too far for me to drive back after an observing session so it would mean camping. Its been on my 'to do' list for ages but needs the weather to play ball on a weekend of the new moon for it to be a cert, maybe maybe this autumn or winter an opportunity will arise. Just struck me now can I actually fit my tent and stuff in the car with my dob :shocked:

Nahhhh its doable David - perhaps an hour and a half back for me- perhaps two hours for you but probably an overnight is the way to go - if we get a really good forecast over the Autumn I'm up for a safari. Would be an all nighter - might even get my M list up to 20 :eek: :eek:

Sorry to poke my nose in your thread gents but just being nosey as to where you guys meet. :)

Steve that spot must be stupidly dark!! Any idea of the NELM?

Im not sure Mike but both that and on top of the Epynt Mountain are fantastic - it was quite literally the first time I had my breath taken away just looking up when I first got into astronomy - stunning. Usually we meet in Blaenavon which is about 50 minutes from where I live and a really good site (with a really good gang aswel) - but Epynt and Llyn Briane are a different game altogether. Must be pretty good for you down there on the South Coast though?

Yeah its ok, nothing really dark but still feel very lucky that the countryside is right on our doorstep. :)

Just makes a change for me to have a hobby where something is actually on my side......apart from the clouds!!

Archived