NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Anyone used a Celestron Luminos 19mm ?

Bart

Hi All,

Currently experiencing severe craving for ES 100* 20mm, coupled with guilt having spent much on astro gear recently (>€2000 on scope and few ES EPs :rolleyes: ). Alternative is the ES 18mm but heard the ER is not great. However, spotted Luminos 19mm for a mere $149 in US. Mmmmm anyone used one in a fast scope F4.5. Great value.

May go for this, and maybe hope ES have another sale next year.

Any thoughts/suggestions/experience?

Thanks

Bart

i have used the 7mm, 10mm and the 23mm Axiom LX's at f/5 only and they are stunning. I do not subscribe to the view that the Luminos are any different. I wrote to Celestron at the time and they said it was a name change only for 'manufacturing' reasons, my own belief is that it was because of the forthcoming Sky Watcher 82 degree Sky Panorama, which are cheaper by comparison, as are the 'Luminos' versions, both SYNTA companies, of course. It is no coincidence that they are manufactured in exactly the same focal lengths, just different dressings in my opinion.

i have used the 7mm, 10mm and the 23mm Axiom LX's at f/5 only and they are stunning. I do not subscribe to the view that the Luminos are any different. I wrote to Celestron at the time and they said it was a name change only for 'manufacturing' reasons, my own belief is that it was because of the forthcoming Sky Watcher 82 degree Sky Panorama, which are cheaper by comparison, as are the 'Luminos' versions, both SYNTA companies, of course. It is no coincidence that they are manufactured in exactly the same focal lengths, just different dressings in my opinion.

Robin,

I totally agree with you. In my view there are many eyepieces on the market same glass with different dresses. I would really like to see some of the data on these EP's.

I am not even sure that if we were to compair one against the other we would get a true feel for if they were the same or indeed different.

Alan.

I'm not knocking the Luminos, but that's the same price as the ES82 18mm whose advantage is that it should be parfocal with your 11 and 14.

Dunkster

I hear what you're saying, but I had heard the ER on the 18mm is a little short, whereas the Luminos is quoted as 20mm or something like that. Additionally, I find I have to refocus when going from 14mm to 11mm. Not a whole pile, but enough to be a slight pain.

Russell has one and confirms this but it doesn't appear to bother him much, so maybe

Thanks all again

Bart

I agree, it has more to do with marketing than anything else. I think that the original Axioms, although great eyepieces were too expensive. Rather than drop the price by 30% and admit the price was wrong and upset existing customers it was easier to rebrand, happens all the time.

I have a full set of Axioms (work trips to US helped me get them cheap) and I love them, they work well in 925 SCT and my 80 mm APO refractor. Ok they are not black and green but they are very good eyepieces as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hear what you're saying, but I had heard the ER on the 18mm is a little short, whereas the Luminos is quoted as 20mm or something like that. Additionally, I find I have to refocus when going from 14mm to 11mm. Not a whole pile, but enough to be a slight pain.

Russell has one and confirms this but it doesn't appear to bother him much, so maybe

Hmmm so the 18 is noticeably shorter. I'll be interested in how you get on. I'd not noticed having to refocus between 11<->14, but then probably because I'd jump to one or other from the plossl or 20 depending on what I was (hoping to be) looking at.

I've been keen on the look of the Luminos at 10mm. How does it compare to the TV Nagler 9mm or Pentax 10mm? My wife has hinted that the 9mm TV or 10mm Pentax is a possibility for Xmas but if the Luminos gives a good account if itself in comparison it will save £100 to spend on something else ;-)

I've been keen on the look of the Luminos at 10mm. How does it compare to the TV Nagler 9mm or Pentax 10mm? My wife has hinted that the 9mm TV or 10mm Pentax is a possibility for Xmas but if the Luminos gives a good account if itself in comparison it will save £100 to spend on something else ;-)

Looks like the Luminos is a no no. I'd only go for it if I can import it. I'd heard previously that the US suppliers don't export the Celestron kit. I emailed the supplier and they confirmed they were prevented from exporting Celestron, So it looks like back to the ES 18mm 82* or the 20mm 100* (wife permitting...) imported.

Barry

Archived