Hi from Maryland

mtc666

Hello everyone. My name is Mark and I'm writing to you from Maryland. I've dabbled in Astronomy since I was in my teens (I'm in my 40's now). I usually pursue hobbies in fits and starts. Two years ago I got a 6" dob (SkyQuest from Orion). Read it was a nice enough scope for the money. I figured I wanted to play around and see how much I got out. Over that year I picked up a couple of eps and built a chair. I also got some of the classic books (Turn Left... Night Watch... Burnham's). Then, due to mosquitos, neighbor's lights, and work schedule (going to work early means not staying up at night!), I wound up storing the scope in the garage.

NOW, I'm planning on driving up to Maine to spend a couple of weeks on vacation. My little 6" is quite portable, so it's coming with me. I've dusted off the books and am now trying to draw up a plan on what I'll be looking for come the beginning of September. My nemesis is M51. I will be looking for it with a vengeance. Otherwise, I haven't made my list/plan. I'm going to post a pointed question about this in the Beginner's/Getting Started topic area.

I've already scanned through a lot of posts, and am excited to be here. Cheers!

Hi Mark and welcome to the forum. Good selection of books you have there and the Burnham triplet and are a huge resource in themselves with so much information that I'm always dipping into.

Clear skies for your trip and hope you enjoy the forum.

James

Archived