Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader SteelTrack v MoonLite Focuser

Thanks Olly :) I have ordered a SteelTrack and the FLO SW FR/FF adapter from FLO so should get them in a couple of days.

Thanks again to everyone for all your replies :)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a very interesting read, thanks!

i'm considering a new focusser also, to replace the standard crayford on my equinox 80

i'm also using a dslr, but, a full frame 5d mk ii

i was pretty much sold on the moonlite, just for it's load carrying, but, i see i have more options to consider...

My SteelTrack came today :) Lovely piece of kit - really well made and solid :) The teeth on the slow knob fit the toothed belt I've got a treat - brilliant idea. Just need some clear nights to test it now :D

Got the chance to use my new focuser last night - wonderful - so smoothe, focussing really accurate and handled the camera with its box and large air cooler as if there was nothing there :) Well chuffed! :):hello2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

I'll have to weigh it :)

Excellent Gina - I'm really glad that you are pleased with the new focuser and that it holds the camera well - A nice focuser makes all the difference I think.

It makes the SW Crayford look like a toy! :D Excellent engineering :)

Brilliant. Glad your first impressions are positive. I think you have convinced me to look at this focuser. What is the weight of you total set up on the end so that I can compare that to what I plan to use?

Thanks

Total weight of camera with box, cooler and focal reducer plus adapters to camera and focuser is 1.34Kg according to my digital kitchen scales.

• 3 years later...

Hello, I have a Steeltrack, not the new diamond model. I recently purchased a steeldrive for it and it fitted ok BUT it became apparent that the drive knob on the focusser , the brass one, slips and so a cumulative error builds up very quickly between where the computer or the hand held thinks it is and where it really is. I can't tighten the grub screw any more and I can't decide if the slippage is down to the grub screw on a very fine spindle or whether it is internal to the focusser gears and also if a degree of slippage is a good thing?  but I cant find any info or manual on this. Mine came with my C11 second hand and no manual so I am a bit stuck. So far Baader response has been along the lines that the problem is me not understanding the interface and I would be better off using the pc interface. OH dear! The problem is mechanical, the interface makes no difference.

Any help would be much appreciated!

At the moment I am going round in circles, literally.

Archived