Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader SteelTrack v MoonLite Focuser

I find I need to upgrade the Crayford focuser on my Exostar 80 ED DS Pro scope as it is incapable of holding my modified DSLR camera with all the cooling components adding to the weight, so I'm looking at the Baader Steeltrack and MoonLite focusers. I remember reading that the MoonLite is better, but how much better? The prices are £265 and £345 which are high for me but the difference is relatively small and I'm wondering whether to "go the extra mile". I'm planning to add a stepper motor for remote focussing run from an Arduino - don't know if this affects the issue.

Any comments would be much appreciated - thank you :)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feathertouch.

edit as i pressed post to quick.

After the Glass the focuser is the next most important part, having tried them all I will not use anything other than a Feathetouch, it is well worth the extra few quid and is much better than the other two.

To be honest its not that much more than a moonlite

http://starlightinst...9&product_id=53

and

http://starlightinst...&product_id=140

is what you need.

It is £345 for a moonlite from Flo those both add up to $463+shipping ($45ish) + import duties

depending on the exchange rate etc about £100 in it?

@1.55 to the £ 327.74 plus around 80 import duty ish

I have a Moonlite on my 120ED and I think I may well change it for a Feathertouch at some stage, or change the complete scope. So, I'd go with Earl, Feathertouch for me all the way, I'd not bother with a Moonlite again. It's a lovely piece of engineering and looks good, but in my opinion it's got less substance than looks unfortunately.

I've recently moved from a William Optics dual speed crayford to an older Moonlite 2-speed on my ED120. I'm really impressed with the Moonlite - it's so smooth but handles the weight of my 2" diagonal and 31mm Nagler with ease, even when the scope is pointing straight up !.

The William Optics was decent enough but the Moonlight definitely seems a significant step up to me.

The FeatherTouch seem a bit difficult to get hold of :( I can't find any UK supplier.

Harrisons Telescopes sell some, but dont have the full range and seemed unwilling to put effort in where needed. Teleskop Service and APM are worth talking to in the EU, I have bought from Starlight Instruments direct and they have been great.

Interesting thread as I have reached the limit of my patience with the stock SW focuser and that is just visual use so far.

I will be interested to know what you decide Gina as I am planning this upgrade in the future. I thought Moonlite was the way to go but I now have doubts now Sara isn't convinced.

I understand that the Feather Touch is a different league (and price bracket) but I am interested in future proofing my purchases.

Earl, what did you actually pay in total direct from Starlight Instruments (if you don't mind me asking)?

Earl, what did you actually pay in total direct from Starlight Instruments (if you don't mind me asking)?

My purchases have been spread out over the last year, I also got one focuser from Teleskop Service, my last purcashe was via paypal as it had a custom item on it, so the value will be a bit off.

Been on Teleskop Service webs site and they are showing FT focusers but for one with a decent amount of travel it's €700. Not sure of the exchange rate but I think that's around £600 - way beyond what I'm prepared to save up for. So I'll probably go for the MoonLite though nobody has said in what ways the MoonLite is better than the SteelTrack. I presume it's smoother and carries more weight.

I have both Moonlite and the Steeltrack. They are both very different in feel. The Baader has a lovely "heavy" feel to the focusing wheels, and I prefer the way the rollers run on a steel insert. The focus wheels are larger than you normally get, which helps with fine focus.

In comparison, the Moonlite focus lock is superior, as it does not push against the draw-tube. However, the rollers seem to collect gunk, which is then deposited in two long strips on the tube. And I wish that it had a ruler inscribed on the draw tube. Apart from that, the Moonlite somehow feels like a nicer piece of kit. It's hard to put a finger on why this is...it just looks and feels more of a quality item.

Like-for-like the Moonlite is about £80 more expensive. Is it worth the extra? To be honest, I don't know. And if you had never tested them back-to-back then I guess you'd never find out.

Either one is very, very good at what they do. I think that making your choice on which ever one looks nicer is as good a reason to choose as any. Or choose the Steeltrack and spend the £80 on a night out.

th_Untitled-2.jpg th_Untitled-1.jpg

th_Untitled.jpg th_IMAG0007.jpg

(Click to enlarge)

Interesting :) Thanks Zak :) Must admit, I like the scale on the SteelTtack. I'm not particularly bothered what it looks like as long as it works well. I don't want it going out of alignment with a long and heavy load hung on the end or for the focus to go out as the scope travels across the sky. eg. if I focus on a bright star and then slew to a totally different part of the sky I want the focus to stay put. I'm intending to control the focus with an Arduino driven stepper motor and pulley/belt drive to the fine focus knob (home built unit). In view of this it might not be necessary to manually lock the focus if the focus drive is substantial enough. The SW Crayford focuser supplied is not capable of lifting my modified DSLR camera if the scope is pointing near the zenith. This is totally unacceptable. Moreover, the focus changes when slewing even when locked and locking the focus changes both alignment and focus slightly. Can't have that either. The supplied focuser is too light-weight for my camera.

To summarise, I want a focuser that works - I'm not bothered what it looks like. I don't want to spend extra on just good looks. Value for money is of the essence.

I had the SteelTrack, MoonLite, and the FeatherTouch to choose from when I was deciding which one to get for my SCT and read many reviews of each and they were all positive. It basically came down to aesthetics at the end and I purchased the FeatherTouch. I ultimately decided against the MoonLite due to its industrial machined look which a lot of people seem to like.

To be honest, I don't think there's a wrong answer to this question! They are all excellent focusers capable of meeting high demands, but each step up in quality comes with a step up in price.

But in your situation, I would probably choose the SteelTrack, because I'm a Scot. :grin:

Andrew

Interesting :) Thanks Zak :) Must admit, I like the scale on the SteelTtack. I'm not particularly bothered what it looks like as long as it works well. I don't want it going out of alignment with a long and heavy load hung on the end or for the focus to go out as the scope travels across the sky. eg. if I focus on a bright star and then slew to a totally different part of the sky I want the focus to stay put. I'm intending to control the focus with an Arduino driven stepper motor and pulley/belt drive to the fine focus knob (home built unit). In view of this it might not be necessary to manually lock the focus if the focus drive is substantial enough. The SW Crayford focuser supplied is not capable of lifting my modified DSLR camera if the scope is pointing near the zenith. This is totally unacceptable. Moreover, the focus changes when slewing even when locked and locking the focus changes both alignment and focus slightly. Can't have that either. The supplied focuser is too light-weight for my camera.

To summarise, I want a focuser that works - I'm not bothered what it looks like. I don't want to spend extra on just good looks. Value for money is of the essence.

Hi Gina,

The Moonlite will carry a heavier load, but the Baader will easily handle a DSLR. Both are way better than the Crayford on my Equinox, which itself is light years better than the focuser on an ED80.

Whichever one you choose will work admirably, I am sure of that.

One thing about the Baader is that the fine focus knob is toothed to allow a belt drive. The Baader Steeldrive is ridiculously expensive for what it is though....£325 for a bracket and a stepper motor. TS do a cheaper version, which uses what looks like the SW Autofocuser (which can be had for about £50). Have a look here. You could then use a USB controller to drive the focuser motor. Dion over at the Astronomy Shed does them for about £60, or Hitec Astro do one for similar money.

Rgds

Steve J

Thank you everyone :) Very useful replies :) It looks like being the Baader SteelTrack. Three reasons basically :-

1. I like the toothed knob for my belt drive
  2. The scale enables setting the focus roughly for the various setups (with or without the FR/FF etc.) Can slip the belt off for coarse focussing.
  3. It's cheaper and money is tight though I was prepared to go the extra bit if it made a significant difference - it doesn't seem to.

I've never used a Moonlite but we have R and Ps here from TeleVue, Takahashi and Feathertouch, along with a Steeltrack and motorized control. I'm an R and P man any day but I grudgingly confess that the Baader, carrying Yves' big H36, 2 inch filterset and OAG is very well behaved. It has to be the best value on the market, just as the Feathertouch is the best until you enter the madlands and look at $6000 dollar units from FLI or whoever.

Olly

Archived