NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Need mount advice please....

dweller25

Hi all,

I have just bought a Celestron 9.25 on a CG5 mount, incredibly the mount is very stable even at high powers (x470) which surprises me as I had heard the C9.25 was a mismatch for this mount.

However, the CG5 is not motorised and I do not want to put any more cost into it as it is not the most refined of mounts.

I am looking to buy a motorised mount for visual observing and have narrowed it down to the HEQ5 or the EQ6.

I know the EQ6 is a good improvement over the CG5 but I am concerned about it's weight (I have a bad back).

The HEQ5 is looking like the favourite to me but will it be more stable than the CG5 ?

Also does the HEQ5 head fit on the CG5 tripod ?

Thanks in advance.

David.

Hi David,

The HEQ5 is significantly more stable than the CG5 - and a little heavier of course !. It should fit onto the CG5 tripod (the HEQ5 certainly fits onto an EQ5 tripod and the CG5 is an improved version of the EQ5 I believe).

I have not used an EQ6 but I believe it is even more stable and heavier again - the 2 seem to go hand in hand. Don't know if the EQ6 fits the CG5 tripod.

If you go for either you will need some more counterweighting as well as the HEQ5 / EQ6 balances differently to a CG5 / EQ5. Some folks havehad to fit longer counterweight bars to compensate for this.

If you are reasonably happy with the stability of your scope with a CG5 you will be very happy with an HEQ5 and it's still reasonably portable - in sections that is :wink:

John

David, Just reading your post and comments about the stability of the cg5 +c9.25 I personally don't think you would see any major improvement in visual use getting an heq5 as opposed to just buying(albeit overpriced) dual cg5/eq5 basic drives.

I have owned the same set up you have and have also owned 3 heq5 mounts and 1 heq5 pro mount. Here are my humble opinions. The standard HEQ5 mount has 3 main issues , one is the much flimsier 1.5" tripod legs not as stable as your cg5 2" ones(these are the same as the eq6). With all my non goto HEQ5 mounts I had a very high frequency vibration evident at high magnification , I could not get rid of this despite careful balancing of the OTA. It is something to do with the standard motors on the HEQ5. The basic 6v Synta/cg5 motors exhibit no vibration . The counterweight arm on the HEQ5 is far too short and means you have to load more weight to counter any OTA you use. Of course the go-to versions with the far superior stepper motors are very smooth and of course give you full automated object location- but at a fairly hefty price.

I found the cg5 mount worked extremely well as a visual and short duration webcam setup.

The Standard EQ6 also suffers from high frequency vibration (had 2), The EQ6 pro is superb but your setup really does become a heavy one.

Cheers

Dave

I also had no vibration with my HEQ5 but anyway....

I would just change the mount head and put the HEQ5 on your CG5 tripod.

If you suffer with your back, stay clear of the EQ6!! Its 18Kg's just for the head!!

The HEQ5 has a payload of around 18Kgs, IIRC, and you can now get a replacement cw shaft for it, although, I think its better to have more weight closer to the mount than less weight further away :scratch: Someone who knows about these things is sure to clarify!

The HEQ5 head will fit the Cg5 tripod no probs, I've done it. But the EQ6 head won't fit a CG5 tripod but then you wouldn't want that combination anyway.

The early HEQ5/EQ6's did suffer with high mag vibration but this was normally cured by deliberately unbalancing the mount in RA so that the weight worked against the motors.

The official max paypoad for the HEQ5 is 12Kg but some on the Yahoo Group reckon it's closer to 18Kg. Very much depends on the telescope type. A short tube design (refractor/SCT/MCT) will work better than a monster tube (Newt/Long refractor).

The CG5 (new style) is rated to 10Kg, so pretty close to the HEQ5. Neither one comes close to the EQ6.

If you are happy with the way the CG5 is coping with the C9.25 now just buy the dual drives. This would be my maths behind that decision:

HEQ5 = £450

CG5 Dual drives = £115

If you are dead lucky you may get £150 for the CG5 but probably closer to £100. So that's £350 you've got to find for the HEQ5 compared to £115 to equip the CG5. No brainer really.

If you have a bad back then I would advise against the EQ6. Save and get the HEQ5 Skyscan Pro later on.

Russ

Thanks for all the info.

I have decided to buy an HEQ5 with an extended counterweight bar from Steve at FLO. I will put the HEQ5 head on the CG5 tripod as it has 2" legs.

All this is going to hold a Celestron C9.25 SCT, so once I receive the dewzap from FLO I will start observing properly. I like planetary observing and drawing and am looking forward to the Mars opposition in December. Until then I will have some fun reacquainting myself with where all the brighter Messiers are.

BTW I fitted Bob's knobs to the scope earlier this week - instant stress reduction - screwdrivers and big glass correctors don't mix !!

Clear skies.....

David.

Archived