NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

good but a bit stressful night in the obsy 1st light

Daniel-K

ok so last night was hoping to be first light in the obsy , it kind of was but only had 1.5 hours which brings my total to 2 hours observing time in the past 4 months so i was excited with unannounced clear sky . so i got all set up in the obsy done the routine with 3star alignment after few issues with polar alignment i was up and running ,then i knocked the power cable out DOH! that was just the start after taking 8x150 sec subs on m27 with the new mammut camera ( MEGA SENSITIVE) my laptop crashed and lost my data 2nd issue. after rebooting the laptop i got a few 150 secs subs on the broom which i have been dying to get so i was happy with that and then i went back to m27 and was getting 200 sec subs (unguided) so it came to 1am and i packed up took the laptop up to bed to see my data and then the software crashed!! i have lost all my data twice in one night!! but still i had lots of fun being under the stars again for the first time in months today i have the joy of labeling all the cables and making them neat lol

post-6284-0-76828400-1343632176_thumb.jp

Have never had an EQ6 ,can you not park them after use to save polar aligning every time ?

I thought this was one of the main advantages of a permanent setup .

When I first had my obs' up and running it took ages to get going, now I can roll back the roof and be imaging in under ten minutes so just persevere.

Also a good idea to have a practice on nights when dry and cloudy you can take pics of clouds :)

Dave

it was the first time the mount had been on the pier so it needed PA yes you can park them but because the obsy has no door on yet i have to demount it :( a pain but its worth it. just getting back into AP i can have it running in 10min if im not doing AP also trying to suss this EQMOD out :p all good fun

Have to say that when I'm dealing with data I don't want to lose, the first thing I do, even before looking at it, is to copy it somewhere else. It's saved me a lot of bother over the years :)

James

I run some homemade code to monitor my data folder and as soon as a file appears and is closed off it is uploaded to my main Data NAS in the house which of course gets backed up every 24hrs at 4am. After losing some precious photo's in 2001 I now always always back up every 24hrs and have never lost data since. Most people don't think of backups until they has lost theirs (like I did) though at the time I just was backing up every Monday morning at 4am now it's every day at 4am.

Archived