Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finally pics of my new toy!!!!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also was curious to ask from other owners if there should be an insert where the orange coloured dovetail connects to the mount? Seems a bit strange if not other wise you are just left with the locking bolt (the one with the black plastic top) screwing directly into the aluminium of the dovetail bar and gouging it. Not the best idea when everything else seems very well thought out as it is getting scratched up already. The locking mechanism on my 127 SLT seems better thought out as there is a bar that pressed against the dovetail bar along its length when the locking bolt is turned, thus spreading the pressure across the bar equally rather than just at one point. Very weird when you think that the weight of the C9.25 is much more than that of the 127 SLT ota. Also the knurled locking bolt that is adjacent to the main bolt (the one at 45 degrees). Does that serve a purpose??? is it just a safety feature?

Also was curious to ask from other owners if there should be an insert where the orange coloured dovetail connects to the mount? Seems a bit strange if not other wise you are just left with the locking bolt (the one with the black plastic top) screwing directly into the aluminium of the dovetail bar and gouging it. Not the best idea when everything else seems very well thought out as it is getting scratched up already. The locking mechanism on my 127 SLT seems better thought out as there is a bar that pressed against the dovetail bar along its length when the locking bolt is turned, thus spreading the pressure across the bar equally rather than just at one point. Very weird when you think that the weight of the C9.25 is much more than that of the 127 SLT ota. Also the knurled locking bolt that is adjacent to the main bolt (the one at 45 degrees). Does that serve a purpose??? is it just a safety feature?

Malc, that knurled headed bolt is a safety lock, designed to prevent the dovetail slipping. Not the best Idea I agree.

As for the locking bolt marking the dovetail when tightened, I'm afraid that too is a poor system, but there is an alternative. The Losmandy saddle upgrade is available for the CG5-GT Mount, and is a much better system altogether. There is a spring tensioned sidebar that compresses onto the dovetail, and is a much more positive arrangement.

You can see the upgrade on Flo's website. The dual saddle upgrade will allow you to keep your existing dovetails, and that will keep the costs down.

Ron.

Hi MarkSix. Thanks for the heads up regarding the alignment peg being moved so it is front of one of the legs. Just as a matter of interest why? Does it add to stability?
Putting the alignment peg along with one the the legs prevents the mount from tipping over. Almost happend to me a couple of times when setting up the mount in the dark.
Hi!I think that the 45 degree bolt is just a safty feature. I quickly replaced my mount adaptor to an ADM adaptor.It is of these http://admaccessorie...CG5_Adapter.htm. There is also a dual version of this adaptor that will accept both vixen and losmandy bars. http://www.firstligh...cg5-mounts.html

Hi again.

I guess you eventually want hook up a computer to the scope. In that case I suggest you download the NexRemote program from Celestron it allows you to control your scope with a gamepad.

Using a gamepad makes it easier operate the scope when you look in the eyepiece or finder. NexRemote also allows you to run a planetarium program like Stellarium or CdC in parallell with the NexRemote. That way you can operate the scope through the planeterium software thru a virtual serialport that the NexRemote provides.

Archived