Seriously building Space Elevators - Go to space cheap !

Rihard

I know this might just be vaporware or mere theory,

but it seems very encouraging. One day (maybe sooner then we ever thought!) we might reach orbit by simply sitting on elevators without the need of expensive rockets, so it's gonna be pretty cheap and accessible for everyone!

See the article: http://www.forbes.co...ow-earth-orbit/

There is also a video showing a prototype elevator climbing a ribbon, very very promising!

:angel11:

471698667_3143aee0f0_b.jpg

tumblr_m7hk8tQg4m1r4l78jo2_500.jpg

Who lets these 'scientists' through the door? Come on, really? Think about it for just a second, its the sort of thing that if the publishers of New scientist magazine had a sense of humour they would post as an April fools article.

Who lets these 'scientists' through the door? Come on, really? Think about it for just a second, its the sort of thing that if the publishers of New scientist magazine had a sense of humour they would post as an April fools article.

Does that really seem impossible? I think we might find a way to build something like that or we'll be stuck on Earth forever :)

I recall seeing the same concept on some astronomy tapes I bought around 1996 / 1997 and this thing keeps coming up often,

this people seem to have serious intentions, and from their claim the thing seems cheaper then the whole ISS .... who knows?

Well, when they actually start building it I'll be excited, but I can't honestly think any government would want to spend $30 Billion on building this. The average person doesn't care about this sort of thing :(.

NASA have investigated the idea. I don't think they're totally dismissive of it.

James

I realise it is of interest to the whole scientific community, and certainly has merit as it would save countless millions on future space exploration (obviously you need a lot less fuel to get from Low Earth Orbit than from sea level on Earth), but I can't see a future government in these current times authorising a single expenditure of around $30 billion US Dollars when that is about three times the current NASA budget. Of course, the only way this could be feasible would be if it were a world wide effort, but then you have another problem of where it's located.

If they do it however, there are many good reasons to do it, it would make sense for it to be built and would make the future of space exploration much more exciting and much more frequent.

My hope is that the economic climate will improve in the next few years.

And if the international community spent 100 billion for the ISS, I really wish they would make an effort to do this .... so I can start planning some interesting holidays.

For the skeptics, I would say that we should not forget that a lot of people had dreamed a lot of "crazy sorceries" or "silly" things (think for instance Huygens, Galileo, Leonardo Da Vinci, just to name a few) and those impossible, crazy "sorceries" that they dreamed (like flying machines, or space travel ) were eventually achieved for real becoming just common and normal things, and not silly as people used to think back then.

Sorry for being always positive :D :D

This was first proposed in 1895 (that is not a typo) but gained more traction in the late 1960's through Arthur C Clarke.

Let us not forget that it was he and Asimov (I can never remember who to credit) who effectively invested communication satellites.

The physics is sound :D

I certainly think there's mileage in it and possibly more a question of when...

One challenge that hasn't been alluded to is that of an orbit-side anchor, surely a requirement and a nontrivial one at that (maybe lassoo a passing asteroid!)

I certainly think there's mileage in it and possibly more a question of when...

One challenge that hasn't been alluded to is that of an orbit-side anchor, surely a requirement and a nontrivial one at that (maybe lassoo a passing asteroid!)

Asteroids are perfect, they (if the correct one is sourced) can provide the counter weight, AND the raw material to construct the elevator from :) (Top down philosophy)

The difference in radial velocity will impart phenomenal sheer stresses so it will be nothing short of an engineering breakthrough/masterpiece to overcome that.

In this day and age the above is a mere trifle compared to getting somebody to front the cash

"Who lets these 'scientists' through the door? Come on, really? Think about it for just a second, its the sort of thing that if the publishers of New scientist magazine had a sense of humour they would post as an April fools article. "

Go on then - why .

I haven't got a major issue that says they are not feasible.

Anchoring

power

delivery to orbit

material physics

international politics - nice missile launch platform to boot

Cost

orbit maintenance

In fact I reckon I read a NS article saying exactly that 10 years or more ago. Anyone want to search for it ?

Ok - I did - here's some stuff

http://www.last-word.com/content_handling/show_tree/tree_id/2284.html

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn8725-spaceelevator-tether-climbs-a-mile-high.html

Mike

I think it can and possibly will be built. More probably by Branson or some other stupidanaire with more money than they could ever spend.

The only real Issue I have with it is I have a phobia of elevators. They freak me out. And who is going to get you out if it gets stuck!

As Mr Wonka has his up and out button on his elevator, if ever it was pushed when I was about I'd be off and running :eek:

I think it can and possibly will be built. More probably by Branson or some other stupidanaire with more money than they could ever spend.

The only real Issue I have with it is I have a phobia of elevators. They freak me out. And who is going to get you out if it gets stuck!

As Mr Wonka has his up and out button on his elevator, if ever it was pushed when I was about I'd be off and running :eek:

You want to read Arthur C Clarke's "Fountains of Paradise". Or maybe not :)

James

Archived